Mustang Evolution Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
These pics are of a current 2013 but retrofitted with an independent rear suspension.

The 2013 chassis will c/o into the 2015. These photos are significant and prove Ford is actively developing an IRS for the 2015.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Mustang is an American icon. Therefore, it puzzles me to no end, as to why Ford would even consider such a radical departure from classic to this Euro chic?? I'm a Gen X'er, and maybe this artist rendering won't happen, but why even pander to the Euro Gen Y demographic - thus possibly ruining a unique symbol of American automotive muscle???

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I think it's funny that everyone wants retro and is sooo for a retro design, especially the people with fox bodies, sn95's and new edges because those cars aren't retro at all imo. The 05-09's are retro, but the 10-13's are more like a futuristic retro if that makes sense? We've done that now, lets move on. As long as it keeps the basic features and qualities of a mustang it'll be good.

And these aren't official ford released stuff. Let's wait until ford releases the design before we start bashing. Ford came out with the Evos and now artists who have no info at all try to make some images from the concept.

I think ford will come up with something good enough for everyone. Something that'll appeal to a wider range of customers to bring in new buyers but also keep the elements that make a mustang a mustang and keep the enthusiasts happy.

I think a redesigned fox body would be sweet though. Small, lightweight with IRS and the new 5.0? Would be bada$$! New edges are still my favorite though and would love something similar to that! And great to see ford testing that IRS. Maybe a 14 with IRS? :)

·
Lorraine's driver
8,168 Posts
I'm cool with steering away from the retro look, my prob is when they start making it look too much like other manufacturers

View attachment 53942

This one looks too much like a Honda

View attachment 53943

This looks to much like an A5

View attachment 53944

Now this one, BOOYA! Maybe they can play with removing some retro from this one and make it work.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
Azure said:
I'm cool with steering away from the retro look, my prob is when they start making it look too much like other manufacturers

Now this one, BOOYA! Maybe they can play with removing some retro from this one and make it work.
I like the last one the most

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Azure said:

I actually think the 2nd one is badasss!

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I might be interested in the powertrain, but the exteriors I've seen so far just make me sick. :disgust:

To old school I guess. I was ill when they built the Mustang II too. :cry:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Azure said:

Yea I like #2 too but #3 is B.A.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I like how everyone is saying that this is going to "ruin" the Mustang. Do you all remember the Mustang II and the Fox Mustangs? How is this going to "ruin" it more than those turdballs did?

The fact of the matter is that Ford realizes that they have to appeal to the younger generations and the global marketplace. That is the way of things now, you can't build a car to cater to a niche market and sell it for $35k.

I'm not just pulling this out of my ass either, lets look at the Mustang sales numbers source: wikipedia

Calendar Year American sales
1999 166,915
2000 113,369
2001 169,198
2002 138,356
2003 140,350
2004 129,858
2005 160,975
2006 166,530
2007 134,626
2008 91,251
2009 66,623
2010 73,716
2011 70,438

People are tired of the retro styling and it does not appeal to the masses. Sales actually dropped with the introduction of the more powerful engines in 2011, following a departure from the retro styling in 2010 which increased sales. I think you can fill in the blanks here.

Also, the Coyote and Cyclone aren't going anywhere, but I'm not shocked at all that we are seing an ecoboost 4cy being introduced. Besides, it's not like this is the first four cylinder mustang.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,168 Posts
Azure said:
I just think they need to keep at least some suttle
Whoops, hit the send button!

I think they need to some subtle hints of the past. Maybe so slight that it's hard to catch. Something that can let everyone know it's a Mustang. Both the fox and mustang II had that. It should be smaller because the new ones are too big. I def think they should drop the 4 banger in there as an option.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Whoops, hit the send button!

I think they need to some subtle hints of the past. Maybe so slight that it's hard to catch. Something that can let everyone know it's a Mustang. Both the fox and mustang II had that. It should be smaller because the new ones are too big. I def think they should drop the 4 banger in there as an option.
I think that's exactly how it will be. Base will be V6, ecoboost I4 option, GT will be a V8. Look at the other cars in the Ford lineup that have an ecoboost engine, IIRC they are all option motors.

I do think that certain Mustang styling clues will remain, such as the three vertical tail lights and round headlights. Beyond that, who knows.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,168 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
I think that's exactly how it will be. Base will be V6, ecoboost I4 option, GT will be a V8. Look at the other cars in the Ford lineup that have an ecoboost engine, IIRC they are all option motors.

I do think that certain Mustang styling clues will remain, such as the three vertical tail lights and round headlights. Beyond that, who knows.
Do you think they'll try to get the size down to maybe fox body size? Don't know if they would do the rear hatch since they have the Focus.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Do you think they'll try to get the size down to maybe fox body size? Don't know if they would do the rear hatch since they have the Focus.
I doubt it, they already have plenty of small fast cars. If I were Ford, I would not want the Focus ST and Fiesta ST competing internally with the Mustang.

Besides, they tried something like that in 99-02, it was called the New Edge Cougar and it was terrible. I should know I owned one. Even more embarrassing was that Roush made parts for it.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,168 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
I doubt it, they already have plenty of small fast cars. If I were Ford, I would not want the Focus ST and Fiesta ST competing internally with the Mustang.

Besides, they tried something like that in 99-02, it was called the New Edge Cougar and it was terrible. I should know I owned one. Even more embarrassing was that Roush made parts for it.
Ew, just googled those. Yup, I have to admit I really didn't think about competing against Focus if they made it smaller. Good point.

Hopefully, being able to add mods will continue in the future. Seems like it would as it is such a big market.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Azure said:
Ew, just googled those. Yup, I have to admit I really didn't think about competing against Focus if they made it smaller. Good point.

Hopefully, being able to add mods will continue in the future. Seems like it would as it is such a big market.
Lmao I looked it up too

41 - 60 of 129 Posts