Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost, but I can't seem to find this particular answer for my 2013 GT using the search feature of the ME app. Probably user error!

Will getting a short shifter correct the synchro issue as well? I'm actually OK with the throw length that is stock, but when pushing it (shifting quickly) the engagement gets sloppy (hard to find the gear).

I'm planning out my mod list at this point and, while I'll get a short shifter anyway, want to know where it falls in the hierarchy.

Thanks all - great information on here.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
It falls rite behind an axle back. I actually like the stock shifter, therefore I'm gonna try the barton bracket first, ppl say that it fixes the 2-3 issue.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have only heard great things about the mgw shifter and how it is one of the best mods for manual cars. I plan it buy it soon considering it is not to expensive and it is an easy install. From what people have said on here it is a quality part and one of the most rewarding mods to do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It falls rite behind an axle back. I actually like the stock shifter, therefore I'm gonna try the barton bracket first, ppl say that it fixes the 2-3 issue.
Perfect, thanks TC. Exactly the shift I'm talking about (2 - 3, 4 - 5 sometimes bad too but can live with it). I'll do a search/research on the Barton Bracket but welcome more input on the shift issue. Especially from someone who implemented a cure in a 2013.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I have only heard great things about the mgw shifter and how it is one of the best mods for manual cars. I plan it buy it soon considering it is not to expensive and it is an easy install. From what people have said on here it is a quality part and one of the most rewarding mods to do.
I have a fairly high mod budget so I'm just looking to correct this specific issue as well as put whatever that fix is in to the overall plan of attack.

Keep em' coming.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you think you may want to end up with an MGW then just know that with the MGW you don't need the bracket anymore ... so you'd have to sell if or be stuck with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you think you may want to end up with an MGW then just know that with the MGW you don't need the bracket anymore ... so you'd have to sell if or be stuck with it.
OK, I saw an MGW thread during my searches. So if I go MGW I'd not only have a short throw, I'd also alleviate the synchro issue all together? Just trying to understand. If so, what is the percentage decrease in throw over stock? I'm seeing other brands that range 20% to 40% shorter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
OK, I saw an MGW thread during my searches. So if I go MGW I'd not only have a short throw, I'd also alleviate the synchro issue all together? Just trying to understand. If so, what is the percentage decrease in throw over stock? I'm seeing other brands that range 20% to 40% shorter.

Thanks.
The MGW replaces the shifter and the lower housing, the other shifters use the the factory lower housing, and replace the bracket to secure the factory housing. The MGW doesn't need a separate bracket to replace, and provides the same benefit.

Not sure on the throw reduction of the MGW, but it's less than some of the others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My MGW shifter just arrived yesterday. I'm impressed with the quality and precision these parts have been designed. I'm glad I waited to get the updated version. It's listed as a thirty percent reduction in throw.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My MGW shifter just arrived yesterday. I'm impressed with the quality and precision these parts have been designed. I'm glad I waited to get the updated version. It's listed as a thirty percent reduction in throw.
Great, 30% is a good reduction. Let me know how the install goes if you don't mind. I'm curious how much needs to come apart and/or if you need to get the car in a lift to install.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great, 30% is a good reduction. Let me know how the install goes if you don't mind. I'm curious how much needs to come apart and/or if you need to get the car in a lift to install.
I installed mine last weekend on jack stands in my garage. It was really easy just watch the install video on YouTube. I love the way it feels now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also did my research and went with MGW. Alleviated all the issues I had with the stock shifter. MGW's precision engineering for defense contracts is where they started. As an engineer, I see the precision in their design, machining and overall fit and finish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I installed mine last weekend on jack stands in my garage. It was really easy just watch the install video on YouTube. I love the way it feels now.
How much higher is the shift effort? I would like a better shift feel but I'm a little concerned as my wife drives my car occasionally and I don't want her whining that it is too hard to shift. The stock shifter has low effort but is a little sloppy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
How much higher is the shift effort? I would like a better shift feel but I'm a little concerned as my wife drives my car occasionally and I don't want her whining that it is too hard to shift. The stock shifter has low effort but is a little sloppy.
Thanks!
The shifting is not hard at all, she may have trouble getting in to reverse the first couple times but that's all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ordered my MGW last week and I just got the shipping info for it today! It's in Indiana on its way to Cali and should be here on Tuesday. From what i gather the synchro issues are more of a tranny issue that a shifter problem. The biggest issue I have found and the reason I got the MGW is that the return action from 2-N-3 shifting on the stock shifter is awful. Every gear except going into 3rd is just fine for me. I tried a new rear support bushing form energysuspension.com hoping that it could solve the 2-3 shift and it didn't..Enter the MGW.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ordered my MGW today. I was thinking about the Hurst because I like the old (like me) school look, But didn't see a lot of positive reviews. Then I started looking at the Barton. Lot's of good feedback on it, but kept hearing raves about the MGW. Then I watched the MGW series of videos & see where the stock (Ford) lower box is still kind of a weak link & part of the problem. Should arrive in a couple weeks. Can't wait.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just ordered mine on the 10th and it shipped 19th. So I think they have a new batch going out now . Hopefully you will get it soon. I can't wait for some crisp clean shifts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ordered my MGW last week and I just got the shipping info for it today! It's in Indiana on its way to Cali and should be here on Tuesday. From what i gather the synchro issues are more of a tranny issue that a shifter problem. The biggest issue I have found and the reason I got the MGW is that the return action from 2-N-3 shifting on the stock shifter is awful. Every gear except going into 3rd is just fine for me. I tried a new rear support bushing form energysuspension.com hoping that it could solve the 2-3 shift and it didn't..Enter the MGW.
You mentioned it being more of a tranny issue. Is there a fix for that? Sorry, trying to connect the dots and have read in other threads that a different fluid was helping correct some problem, just don't recall if if was this issue or something else.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A lot of people have tried swapping trans fluid and it has helped smooth things out a bit in the trans especially when its cold. Unless you are really grinding gears however I would think the transmission/synchros are fine. The sloppy shifts however can be directly related to the shifter itself. If you look at the videos on the MGW website about the install they break everything down and show all of the reasons that shifting gets sloppy, weak rubber bushings, a lot of play in the upper shifter ect.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts