Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the black Friday sales kicking off I'm about to buy the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter from their website. See all good reviews excluding a few super picky people complaining about small things. I'm not asking for people to compare shifters because I know that has already been done in other threads. I'm just asking the people that have this shifter with 2011-2014 GTs to let me know if they regret their purchase. Also, I already have the shifter base bushing and will be pairing it with this too. Happy Turkey day fellas.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
We have already spoken but I will let others weigh in.

If you would like, I can have you speak to one of our techs that can provide you with any more insight you are looking for.

The Tri-Ax is tested & proven ... you won't be disappointed :)

TJ

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TJ. I just want to make sure that I wont be getting locked out when shifting under hard acceleration at higher rpm from 2-3. Also to clean up the overall shifting experience. I would prefer it helped when 2 doesn't engage fully some of the time. No one has any feedback?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Installing a Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter - Mustang Monthly Magazine

There are others out there ... but here is an article that was written by Mustang 360:

The engineers at Steeda Autosports know exactly what we're talking about and over the years have designed a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter for every manual transmission ever fitted to the Mustang, including aftermarket Tremec models as well. So it was a no-brainer for us to pick up the phone and order the latest Tri-Ax for the '11-'12 six-speed, designed with a 20 percent shorter throw while maintaining the stock reverse lockout system. Steeda even provides a stiffer reverse lockout spring if you're one of the many who constantly hit Reverse trying to engage First gear. We also chose to upgrade to Steeda's shifter base bushing kit with billet mounting bracket and high durometer bushing.
TJ

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just pulled the trigger on the shifter, transmission mount bushing insert & hood struts. Thanks for the help TJ. Looking forward to install in spring! :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a tri ax first. Then i went to a barton, because i had an older tri ax that didn't have the mod for the 2013 reverse gate change. How i'm dumping the barton and going back to tri ax. Smoother shifting, by design. And hopefully it won't responate as bad since i have a blowfish mount, will see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cobrakit, I would really be interested to hear how the Tri Ax works with the Blowfish bracket. I really like the Blowfish and the much more connected feeling it gives with the stock shifter, and if the Tri Ax works well without any additional vibration, it would be my first choice. I am so happy with everything Steeda on my '13 Boss.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Probably be after christmas. Issue with barton is the upper part which slides allows the upper to vibration. I have the blowfish with bushings and have done everything they recommend. Barton also told me to grease upper part of shifter where it slides. Helped a little, but vibration still there. Hope steeda will be better. I know it will shift smoother based on design alone. Had issue with shifting barton while i was on road racing track.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I love steeda's parts and shifters and have always had steeda shifters in my mustangs. But when it comes to the 14 gt I have the MGW and I think it was the best option. Now if steeda put one out that was comparable to the race spec I would definitely give it a look.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No argument on the quality and durability of MGW shifters. I have one in my C6 Corvette and would never trade it. The C6 however has a substantially stronger Tremec transmission in it. There have been numerous discussions on other Forums about the relationship of reduced shifter throw, the design of the MT-82, and just how quickly it's internals are able to change gears without adversely effecting parts, especially synchronizers, leading to premature failure. With the Tri-Ax minimal 20% reduction in throw it would appear to offer a perceivable improvement for a non-racer, while possibly minimizing the possibility of premature transmission wear. For someone looking for some enhancement in feel and street performance while wanting to keep the NVH to a minimum the Tri-Ax seems to be a viable choice. The Blowfish bracket has already made a huge difference in the feel and performance of the stock shifter in my '13 Boss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts