Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Lorin, Im 15 and looking for any advice/tips/tricks for modding/tuning or anything for my 2010 Ford Mustang V6. As of posting the only thing on the car (modded wise) are A full catback custom exhaust system and a pair of Axial Halos that are about to go on! Any advice or help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
I agree with Mr. Keaton.
Just leave the car relatively stock, take good care of it, maintain it properly, and above all else, ignore your friends and peers when they tell you that you should have got a V8. Tell them that you are working on the funding, and that you are currently accepting donations towards your future purchase.
You already have the exhaust system. The only other thing that you can easily do to gain a few more horsepower is to get a performance tune. I just don't know if it makes any financial sense for the very small gain though.
I would just drive it like it is. Maybe do some cosmetic upgrades, like wheels and tires.

·
Super Moderator
17,830 Posts
2010 V6. On the plus side you get the updated look, on the downside you have the 4.0 V6 and not the 3.7 V6.

That said...

NEVER believe any advertising especially from car magazines or sales websites like American Muscle. Besides exhaust there is really nothing you can do power wise to that engine, the OEM stuff is actually very good. No "cold air" kits, no throttle bodies or MAF, no pullies, no aftermarket coils or ignition stuff or anything. Its all spending money for 0 gain.

Exhaust, gears, shifter if manual, tune (not bama) and then suspension/wheels and tires. And then drive it and enjoy having a really good looking car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you have money to burn the rear end gears would be my first choice, but have it done by a professional as I have read many horror stories about bad installations. Perhaps even have a Ford dealer do it, let them supply the gears and do the install and you should get some type of warranty. May cost more but in the long run you will probably be better off. If you do a lot of freeway driving or long trips this may not be a good choice as it will kill your gas mileage. Any mods you do will have a plus and minus. I lived with my V6 for a few years stock and then bought a new 5.0 liter earlier this year, it has plenty of horsepower and I don't plan on modding it either.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You asked for good advice and you got it. I'm 63. I've wrecked cars and motorcycles so here's my advice. Learn how to drive. Use the car you have and learn it's limits. Learn how to be smooth. Driving fast is more than smashing the throttle. Then get a GT and you're respect the power and not put it sideways into a telephone pole.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As with any Hot Rod, the first thing to get right is the stance. Get the best set of light weight wheels, flow formed or forged, with the proper offsets and suspension goodies to get it to both handle well and sit right. A car that handles well, even with a six popper under the hood, is so much fun to drive on the street, as well as being much safer and predictable for a new driver. Companies like Steeda Autosports makes balanced suspension upgrades and will give honest advise on what you should change or retain to optimize you car. A set of light weight wheels won't add horsepower, but will make you car feel like you did through faster acceleration and more responsive suspension behavior. On the street it is all about " The Pose "anyway, as we all know you will keep all racing on the track, right?

·
Registered
320 Posts
As a 15 year old you have little or no driving experience and just because the state has given you a license does not mean you know how to drive. The expensive wheels and suspension mods will mean nothing to you at this point in your driving career. If you have money to spend I would recommend attending a high performance driving school. The school will teach how the car is supposed to react and teach you how to get the most out of it. Then when you start making mods you can appreciate the changes.

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
One thing to change to make it more reliable is change the thermostat housing to a aluminum one. The plastic ones leak at the seams. I had no luck with the aftermarket plastics ones. They only lasted a year. A lot cheaper than a new engine or head gaskets. Mine was an 05 so it maybe different on yours. Just something to keep in mind if you have start loosing coolant . You won't see it drip since it will pool on center of engine and evaporate .

Sent from my SM-J327P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
My advice would be keep up with the general maintenance if it has not been already to keep it running like new to start. For better handling a good/ east start is to get winder rims like the gt ones that are 9 inches wide or more. Also with good tires. Makes the car feel more planted than the narrow stock tires. You could go crazy with expensive after market ones or just get a decent set of used ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The smaller tires are the 215s. If your already have 235s those are the better wider ones .

·
Registered
106 Posts
You said "(Not Bama)". Im new to tuning, What makes bama a bad idea and what is the best way to tune for what companies I should go through.
I have had no issues with Bama. My 2006 4.0 runs a Bama tune in it. It had 125k miles on it and I have driven crosscountry since I am in the military. When I had a 16 GT I used bama, no issues. I currently don't use bama in my 2012 Boss 302 because it has the Ford Performance key tuned in it. I also use Bama in my 2012 3.7, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts