Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
More of a safety feature. You don't really want to be going down in to first when you're already moving.

Instagram: @v6beast

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would say the short answer is that the synchronizers have to slow down the input shaft and all the gears connected to it a lot more than downshifting into second. This will usually make downshifting into first gear harder than any others. The faster your input shaft is turning the harder it is going to be, so when going 5-10KPH it takes a lot of force on the synchro to slow everything down and match the output gear speed so you can shift. In addition I think the MT82 transmission Ford is putting in the Mustang is not the best as they tried to produce a cheaper transmission than what they had been using. I suggest you go on Youtube and watch some videos on how transmission shift; specifically the synchro part.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't see why there would be an issue downshifting to 1st when under 10mph as long as you rev match by a quick blip of the gas pedal. I have the stock shifter and it does it just fine.

It may very well be the shifter itself. Perhaps a worn bushing...maybe? Have you changed your tranny oil lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't see why there would be an issue downshifting to 1st when under 10mph as long as you rev match by a quick blip of the gas pedal. I have the stock shifter and it does it just fine.

It may very well be the shifter itself. Perhaps a worn bushing...maybe? Have you changed your tranny oil lately?

You've bumped probably every post in this entire forum lol

I find it difficult to shift into first, not impossible but def not as easy as downshifting all other gears.

·
Administrator
660 Posts
Both of mine drop easily shift into 1st under those conditions. That said, I'm pretty old-school and tend to blip the gas to bring RPMs up before doing so, most of the time.

I guess I've driven too many old Army trucks back in the day. Half of those didn't even have synchronizes back in 19-throw-it-away.

However, what you described is normal for most. Much of it has to do with your personal style & skill.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
since this post was bumped.....why are the synchros different for 1st? I assume it is something with them that makes it harder to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts