Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace ball joints in my Mustang and was wondering if anybody had some experience with any of the cheaper c-clamp style ball joint tools? I'm looking at the $50-75 price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
I just rent one from my local parts store. It's free really. Put a deposit down, I get the deposit back when I take it back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup definitely borrow one from auto parts store you just pay a deposit then they return it to you when tool is returned. I used the tool on my Jeep JK and it was a huge pain because it didn't include the correct cup I needed but neither did the harbor freight tool unless I bought a hole set of just the cups which was double the cost of the tool. So landed up just making the free tool work took a lot of time and broken knuckles lol but I got it. Would be a quick simple job if it comes with the right size cups you need and super easy to use, just watch a youtube video and you will be good!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Coincidence you ask this question as I asked myself the very same thing just yesterday. I came to the conclusion I would prefer owning one vs. renting one. Too much hassle driving to and from car parts store, and I may have immediate need of one some day. I ended up purchasing GearWrench 3916D, about $20, tons of good reviews, although may not work on some large ball joints on trucks.

Reactions: dwbrand

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
For the amount of times I need to change a ball joint (hardly ever) renting is my best option. No hassle really. Stop on my way home from work to pick it up, stop on my way home to drop it off after I'm done.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coincidence you ask this question as I asked myself the very same thing just yesterday. I came to the conclusion I would prefer owning one vs. renting one. Too much hassle driving to and from car parts store, and I may have immediate need of one some day. I ended up purchasing GearWrench 3916D, about $20, tons of good reviews, although may not work on some large ball joints on trucks.
I saw that and figured it might work on my car, but I guess my lack of imagination just couldn't see it working well. Just to check that I was on the same page as you, I googled it and it looked like I saw images of it pressing in wheel studs- that looked like a much more realistic use for it.

I purchased one from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BUI5VCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the amount of times I need to change a ball joint (hardly ever) renting is my best option. No hassle really. Stop on my way home from work to pick it up, stop on my way home to drop it off after I'm done.
I thought of that too, but the cost of "renting" was much higher than I wanted to deal with, even though I could've gotten it for free (purchase on CC, use, and return).

When I considered how much it would cost to have a shop do the work, a $55 tool didn't seem so bad, plus I enjoy being frustrated by things like this :lol:

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
My 95 was lowered the wrong way (bought it like that, cut springs). It ate balljoints at an alarming rate. I actually got pretty good at changing them but glad that car is gone. Lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any tips or tricks I need to know? How much time should I allow? Until I get my hands on an impact wreck, this project is on hold. I'm thinking it's a weekend job unless someone tells me it's a couple hours easily.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's kinda what I figured, thanks

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Just be sure to not tell your friends or neighbors, as you then become the "parts store" guy to lend off the tools!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha good idea. We are still the new kids on the block and no one really bugs us for anything ?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been watching a few videos (I know, I still haven't gotten started). Some show putting white lithium grease on the ball joint before pressing it in. Good idea?

I planned on using an electric impact but have realized I probably won't have clearance for one to fit. Anything that might help, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
You can just use a 1/2 ratchet, or breaker bar, if you can't fit an impact gun... And some muscle!
I don't recommend using grease. What I do is put the ball joints in the freezer for a couple of hours before installing them. It shrinks them a tiny bit and they seem to slide in a little bit easier. It helps if you can put the control arms in the hot sun for a while, to heat them up.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like that freezer idea! Haven't planned on taking the control arms off...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts