Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much what the title says. wondering if anyone has seen intake manifolds pop up for the 3.7 yet,

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Is there a "plasti-dip" (or plastic-dip) type treatment to do this? I've read where folks do this with rims alot; perhaps there is a chrome type paint that would net the same results.

Does not look hard to remove the stock 3.7 intake.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Is there a "plasti-dip" (or plastic-dip) type treatment to do this? I've read where folks do this with rims alot; perhaps there is a chrome type paint that would net the same results.

Does not look hard to remove the stock 3.7 intake.
Bucko what are u talking about? Plasti dip?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Plasti dip is spray on paint. Nothing more than cheap apartment grade paint we did when I was in high school. Would not do it on car. Just add ons. Not sure if I trust it yet, bit you can paint your car for under 500 bucks.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
I have read that many folks do this to their rims...they prefer the black look, so they do this "plasti dip" thing.

At first I thought they dipped the rims in a bucket of melted black plastic! Then I found that it was a type of paint.

On my F150, the black bed rails faided; I had great success with Krylon Black Fusion spray paint; prepping is key though.

Since the intake is plastic, I'd assume it could be easily painted. Either with a rattle can, or by a body shop. Color matching the intake manifold to your car's body color might be something to consider.....

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I have read that many folks do this to their rims...they prefer the black look, so they do this "plasti dip" thing.

At first I thought they dipped the rims in a bucket of melted black plastic! Then I found that it was a type of paint.

On my F150, the black bed rails faided; I had great success with Krylon Black Fusion spray paint; prepping is key though.

Since the intake is plastic, I'd assume it could be easily painted. Either with a rattle can, or by a body shop. Color matching the intake manifold to your car's body color might be something to consider.....
I was thinking if getting my intake mani dipped

·
Registered
569 Posts
Rims the only way. Don't do your car. Comes off too easy. Rims is fine.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Anybody know European paints to go matte black on the rims?

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Sorry... Exhaust.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea... I think we are missing the point here. I'm not looking to paint my intake manifold, that's easy. I'm looking to replace it with a stainless one that could be internally polished.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
You missed some of the thread over at mustangcollective.

My car is the test mule for that intake manifold:

It is back being worked on again though. The dyno results were very disappointing unfortunately. We flipped it over and saw why though after the testing first looking at the bottom of the manifold and then the lower intake on the engine:

So once the air made it to the lower intake the mis-match on the runner size meant we lost all velocity. So the fabricator has the prototype back now and is changing the runners to match the size of the lower...then back to the dyno for more testing.

He is supposed to make some changes to the throttle body mounting as well. With the angle he put on it we couldn't get things to line up enough and had to put the air box up on the radiator cover. With the redesign we hope to just use some aluminum intake from Autozone to connect the stock airbox to the throttle body.

And we confirmed that it will fit with the strut tower brace on the car too.

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
I would love to see something like this make it into production. Our stock intake manifold looks so lopsided, especially without the engine cover lol. I hope the dyno results look better this time around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts