Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Mustang and I noticed some noise came from my rear a few days ago So I looked under and it's the Bushing that support the Driveshaft or universal joint Is broken I just don't know the actual name so I Can do parts shopping

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Are you referring to the "dogbone", highlighted below?

It doesn't support anything, it's just an NVH thing bolted to the differential housing nose--I took mine off 6 years ago.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
cliffyk said:
Are you referring to the "dogbone", highlighted below?

It doesn't support anything, it's just an NVH thing bolted to the differential housing nose--I took mine off 6 years ago.
So what is the purpose of it?!?.... Just to look pretty??.... Lol

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
So what is the purpose of it?!?.... Just to look pretty??.... Lol
NVH, Noise/Vibration/Harshness...

It is a harmonic damper. Simplified, its mass absorbs drivetrain vibrations to reduce NVH. I never experimented with it to determine how effective it is, then again I never noticed any significant increase in noise after removing it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
cliffyk said:
NVH, Noise/Vibration/Harshness...

It is a harmonic damper. Simplified, its mass absorbs drivetrain vibrations to reduce NVH. I never experimented with it to determine how effective it is, then again I never noticed any significant increase in noise after removing it.
Ok I got ya!..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to replace my damper but since ford don't make it anymore I have to Remove it and go without a damper. I'm going to do some serious driving tonight & will see if I'm have any vibration noise or what

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I want to replace my damper but since ford don't make it anymore I have to Remove it and go without a damper. I'm going to do some serious driving tonight & will see if I'm have any vibration noise or what
I have driven my '03 GT more than 100k miles without it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts