Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the weather finally got cooler here in Florida it was about 65-70 today and I noticed a major difference in how the car was performing today compared to in hotter weather. Things that I noticed were smoother acceleration faster acceleration (more power) improved throttle response and even the shifts felt a lot softer quicker and smoother. The car turned from being sluggish to really feeling fast again like on the day I bought it. Anyways has anybody that lives in a hot climate noticed a difference in their car when the weather got colder?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have noticed this, mostly more power. although our temps up here in alaska are more like 70 in the summer to 0-20s in the winter

Sent from my LG-AS811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your car will breathe better with cold air, so better throttle response. But your tires and transmission won't like the cold weather, well if your manual.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gasoline also has a higher kinetic energy at colder temperatures so it may produce more energy when burned.

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
And we, I think nationally, are on crappy "Winter" gas.
I loose 1 mpg when we start on winter gas.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Mine doesn't get driven as much :sad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only thing I've noticed here in Rhode Island is that it seems it needs to warm up a bit and then its fine. I can't comment on acceleration tho, because I'm running a race tune for 93 octane, and it just goesssss ;o).

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The air is more dense when its colder out. On turbo cars we have to have the load targets dialed in to reduce the wastegate duty cycle quite a bit to compensate for the colder weather or the cars will overboost like crazy. Or, you can just let the tune run and its like a 20-30 whp difference on a mild application haha.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here in florida at least for me during the summer months when temperatures were above 90 degrees the car felt like it didn't have enough air to make power. One of the reasons I installed a K&N drop in filter which helped a bit. Now that temperatures have dropped its absolutely fun to drive and its kinda cool because temperatures have been going down daily so its nice to hop in and see what a change just 7-8 degrees will make from one day to the other. Boy its a big change before I wanted to just mod the car to add more power but now that the weather has cooled it doesn't feel like it needs any more power at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
93 Bama Tune with Steeda CAI and Cat Back exhaust fixed the summer sluggish feeling in my 3.31 ratio equipped Performance Pack edition but yes, it always feels stronger when its cold. With my aluminum driveshaft, this 3.7 lincoln engine can easily top 160. But don't ask how I know that!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I have noticed more squeaks and noises. My car is allergic to cool weather. I'm in GA. It hasn't even considered being cold out yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Gasoline also has a higher kinetic energy at colder temperatures so it may produce more energy when burned.

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'

How's those 4.10s? I fee like even 3.55s have a short 1st gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

1 - 20 of 37 Posts