Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at putting new wheels on my 2012 V6. I dont think the OEM wheels look bad but Im all blacked out accept for the wheels at this point and would like them to match the car better. My reason for not just having them powder-coated is I dont want to ruin the originals that I could just sell and use the $ for new ones. So, if anyone has a picture of there 2011-2013 (i think they have the same wheels) please post it up so we can all get a look.

slow ride,take it easy

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used plasti dip on mine and those worked great. I've hit a curb or two and it just scraped the paint off, wheels were fine tho so just painted them again. Check my pictures.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They dont look bad at all actually. I might go the power-coat rout for more of a gloss finish but there looking good in the mate as well

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
use a gloss clear over the plasti dip? now there is an idea.... I might just have to do a a test sample on that one, could end up saving me a good chunk of change.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
brywolf90 said:
Could i black dip then clear coat?
If I was you would sand it then plasti dip and give it another clear coat but Iam not an expert

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
rebeltx said:
Im looking at putting new wheels on my 2012 V6. I dont think the OEM wheels look bad but Im all blacked out accept for the wheels at this point and would like them to match the car better. My reason for not just having them powder-coated is I dont want to ruin the originals that I could just sell and use the $ for new ones. So, if anyone has a picture of there 2011-2013 (i think they have the same wheels) please post it up so we can all get a look.

slow ride,take it easy
I try to keep all my OEM stuff OEM too, but if you're going to sell them, powdercoat should increase their value.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Adogg said:
If I was you would sand it then plasti dip and give it another clear coat but Iam not an expert
Do not sand before plasti dipping the wheel. You will mess up the wheel and finish!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dupli-color sells a product for painting wheels now as well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dont the plasti dip paint jobs start to peal up on the edges over time? I saw a charger with some plasti dip rims that were starting to peal and it looked super trashy. And has anyone actually pealed the plasti dip off there wheel's before? how much of a pain is it really?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
rebeltx said:
dont the plasti dip paint jobs start to peal up on the edges over time? I saw a charger with some plasti dip rims that were starting to peal and it looked super trashy. And has anyone actually pealed the plasti dip off there wheel's before? how much of a pain is it really?
Depends. My first batch was 4 coats strong but the edges was about 2 so you just have to run harder. Mine dip lasted about 2 weeks no problems before I started just messing with it and tried cutting the chrome ring out and I messed up. It peels off like tape and sounds like it too but has the feel of a latex glove. Cool stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

The charger also probably didn't use enough coats. 4 coats minimum. I used 7 on my last time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, the plasti dip is a good solution for those that dont mind re-doing it every now and then. others might want to go with powder coat or maybe try the dupli color paint.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
rebeltx said:
so, the plasti dip is a good solution for those that dont mind re-doing it every now and then. others might want to go with powder coat or maybe try the dupli color paint.
It's the cheapest way to see if blak rims look good on your car. And with my boss 227 setup it looks sick. And by re doing is only for like say I giant rock hitting it or curb rash. I took a pressure washer to it when I deep cleaned my car, its on my grille surround for the v6 and my grilles. Didn't come off and I was 2 inches away.

·
Registered
115 Posts
rebeltx said:
I painted mine when I bought the car 6 months ago. One wheel bubbled up a month ago, I peeled it away (5-10 minutes) and reapplied. Looks better then before. If it starts to peel, just reapply. Cheaper then $1,500 for now.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Whitelightning said:
It's the cheapest way to see if blak rims look good on your car. And with my boss 227 setup it looks sick. And by re doing is only for like say I giant rock hitting it or curb rash. I took a pressure washer to it when I deep cleaned my car, its on my grille surround for the v6 and my grilles. Didn't come off and I was 2 inches away.
Same here. I dabbed the curb a little and just reapplied. Rim was perfect. So when I trade the car in, ill rip off all the plasti dip and say here, looks like new.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
syas07 said:
I painted mine when I bought the car 6 months ago. One wheel bubbled up a month ago, I peeled it away (5-10 minutes) and reapplied. Looks better then before. If it starts to peel, just reapply. Cheaper then $1,500 for now.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Same here. I dabbed the curb a little and just reapplied. Rim was perfect. So when I trade the car in, ill rip off all the plasti dip and say here, looks like new.
I would ask if the rims gave it more value and if not then I would peel it off in front of them like witchcraft. It's a pain to get the edges of the premium and base wheel. I still have to apply more to them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts