Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the cure for "cattle grid" shudder in the AODE Transmission in my '94 Mustang GT. Seems to be there when idling along at 60 kmh (37 mph), and goes away after that.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Can anyone tell me the cure for "cattle grid" shudder in the AODE Transmission in my '94 Mustang GT. Seems to be there when idling along at 60 kmh (37 mph), and goes away after that.
That's usually caused by the lockup torque converter. :(
I had a 95 GT do that, added some Lucas transmission additive and managed to get by for about a year before having to replace it.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I changed my fluid and filter on my 94 and it is like a new tranny now

What I have found out over the years is that, if an auto transmission has had regular fluid and filter changes through its life, then you are relatively safe changing the fluid, however, if it has not, then you may be playing Russian Roulette with your transmission. Sometimes a fluid and filter change can be accomplished with good results and other times the transmission will fail shortly afterwards.

I found out from a performance transmission company that the cause for this is accumulated debris in the transmission. Simply if you do not disturb it, then your transmission will likely be ok, but if you do, then a large percentage of the time some of that disturbed debris will get into a fluid passage or internal valve and cause the transmission to fail.

I figure you always have a 50/50 chance changing automatic transmission fluid on any used car. Sometimes it works just fine and other times it does not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts