Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the performance gains going from 3.55 to 3.73 are worth the cost? I have an 08 Gt Convertible. I hear 410s are too much for regular highway driving. My current mods are JLT Series 3 CAI and Borla Stinger Axlebacks.

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
im looking to do the same thing. but i have hot rod cams and a K and N CAI. ive heard the same thing about the 4.10s.

·
Registered
916 Posts
4.10s are fine on the freeway. I usually pull about 2400 rpms at 70. At 80 I'm at about 2600-2700 rpms. To me that's not a big deal. So if I was you I would go 4.10s. If you plan on a supercharger go 3.73

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I had 4.10s in my 05, I didn't care for them and wish I would have went with the 3.73s. They were good for the track, but no one else could drive the car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Why? Do you speak from experience? Not enough of an upgrade?
As usual it's all about what you're trying to accomplish. The jump to 3.73 will be an improvement, but not as much as 4.10 and not as much as 4.56 and so on. If you go 4.10, it's awesome, but you are barely ever in 1st and if you go SC then 1st gear is useless and almost can't even be used, because go to redline almost instantly. So for SC 3.73 seem to be the highest you want and still have drivability.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Not the same car but I went 3.55 to 3.73 in my cobra and there was little difference. Should have gone bigger

·
Registered
421 Posts
As usual it's all about what you're trying to accomplish. The jump to 3.73 will be an improvement, but not as much as 4.10 and not as much as 4.56 and so on. If you go 4.10, it's awesome, but you are barely ever in 1st and if you go SC then 1st gear is useless and almost can't even be used, because go to redline almost instantly. So for SC 3.73 seem to be the highest you want and still have drivability.
So Thats why a lot of guys around here with a lot of hp keep stock gears.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So Thats why a lot of guys around here with a lot of hp keep stock gears.
That's also why you see new aftermarket transmissions with different 1st gear ratios available. It's about balancing. If its just about launching and drag type driving, then max the gears out. But usually you need to be able to drive it normally too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's also why you see new aftermarket transmissions with different 1st gear ratios available. It's about balancing. If its just about launching and drag type driving, then max the gears out. But usually you need to be able to drive it normally too.
I agree with you and the route im going with mine its best i leave them alone.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was asking this in another posts. Didn't know if a jump to the 3.55's I have would be a huge improvement over the 3.73's that I was thinking about. I'm still not for sure of it but it seems like the best course at this time would be to keep the 3.55's and work on other things

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I was asking this in another posts. Didn't know if a jump to the 3.55's I have would be a huge improvement over the 3.73's that I was thinking about. I'm still not for sure of it but it seems like the best course at this time would be to keep the 3.55's and work on other things
You just have to figure out your path and how far you're gonna go. If you're plannng on SC, then TB, CMDP, Ford Racing Intake, 4.10's are all a waste of money. The SC will replace that stuff and you'll really need 3.73. But if you're only gonna do a few bolt ons, then gears make a huge difference and they're cheap compared to other stuff. On that note they are cheap enough to swap out again later.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts