Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first are they going to produce the same sound? If not, what type of difference? Then is it possible to run cutouts with being able to switch between that and an Axleback? Let me know what you guys think and then also other oppinoins for setups. It's for a 13' GT.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Umm... not really sure what your question is. I do know that electronic cutouts can be opened and closed at will. when it's open it's pretty much straight headers and when it's closed it's just like any other exhaust... if you're gonna run a full exhaust I don't think you should even mess with cutouts...

or are you referring to the boss side exhaust?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was thinking of adding electronic cutouts with the stock mufflers, mostly due to the community I live in with noise restriction. Being able to flip a switch, for open (after cat) exhaust, and then back to stealth mode sounds appealing. My worry is with heat/electronics/mechanical valve malfunctions.
Anyone put on such a system?
I wish I had the boss cutouts, but that is a whole other discussion :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I want to do is run cutouts and then run an axlebacks as well. The cutouts would just come out somewhere underneath and the Axlebacks would be normal. So I could have ridiculously loud when I want and then good tone for my regular driving. I don't want to install a side exhaust.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It depends where you put the cutouts, if you put them right after the headers it's like running open headers, if there right before the muffler it's like a muffler delete

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
It depends where you put the cutouts, if you put them right after the headers it's like running open headers, if there right before the muffler it's like a muffler delete
I get what you're saying but not really, I've started my car with no mufflers but still had the rest of the exhaust and it sounded horrible

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah while doing my off road h pipe I started it just for fun and even with the ghost cam it sounded pretty bad and I like my cars loud but do what you want and if you don't like the cutout how it sounds just add a small flow though muffler

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How would I be able to make cutouts sound good? My question hasn't been answered yet either. Is it possible to run cutouts and an Axleback?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
How would I be able to make cutouts sound good? My question hasn't been answered yet either. Is it possible to run cutouts and an Axleback?
Didn't know if that was a serious question... why wouldn't you be able to run both? you don't have to take off the mufflers... the cutouts can be welded into pretty much any spot of your choice

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Didn't know if that was a serious question... why wouldn't you be able to run both? you don't have to take off the mufflers... the cutouts can be welded into pretty much any spot of your choice
I'm not exactly sure how a cutout is setup. Posts any helpful links or videos. I'm just completely clueless when it comes to cutouts, so I was curious for other people's knowledge.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I've looked at thousands of videos on youtube and cannot remember ever coming across a 5.0 with cutouts... theres just too much awesomeness and choice with our exhaust, you can make it almost anything you want with it.

what I would do to find you a link is look on youtube and post it on here.............. no one in this forum in my 7 months on here has ever showed interest in them so I don't think anyone on here has them

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

FD ls1 exhaust cut out - YouTube

not a mustang but you get the point

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
I've looked at thousands of videos on youtube and cannot remember ever coming across a 5.0 with cutouts... theres just too much awesomeness and choice with our exhaust, you can make it almost anything you want with it.

what I would do to find you a link is look on youtube and post it on here.............. no one in this forum in my 7 months on here has ever showed interest in them so I don't think anyone on here has them

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

FD ls1 exhaust cut out - YouTube

not a mustang but you get the point
So when the cutouts are closed, does the exhaust route normally! Does the exhaust come out of the mufflers? Where exactly do you install cutouts as well?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
tgmeyer said:
So when the cutouts are closed, does the exhaust route normally! Does the exhaust come out of the mufflers? Where exactly do you install cutouts as well?
Exhaust will flow normally with cutouts closed, it will still exit through the mufflers. The cutouts are typically welded in around the midpipe. Think of it as a y pipe that is welded in on one side and the other side just has that little door to open and close for a different exhaust tone.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah if the cutouts are closed then your exhaust will run and sound normal, if you have axelbacks they will give sound with the cutouts closed

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would I be able to weld the cutouts somewhere, where it'd sound like open headers? How do cutouts sound, if anyone has any personal experience..?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Exhaust will flow normally with cutouts closed, it will still exit through the mufflers. The cutouts are typically welded in around the midpipe. Think of it as a y pipe that is welded in on one side and the other side just has that little door to open and close for a different exhaust tone.
Would I be able to weld the cutouts somewhere, where it'd sound like open headers? How do cutouts sound, if anyone has any personal experience..?
around the mid pipe... if you have cats then you would have to do it before the cats, otherwise do it before midpipe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts