1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
There are some states and cities that do not allow you to increase the sound

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
It all depends on where you are. In Texas, my exhaust would get inspected annually which included a test of the exhaust emissions. Here in Florida though, there's no inspection whatsoever. Basically, the cops here say that as long as it isn't overly loud, they won't give you a second look. But like I said, it depends on where you are and if the cop is having a bad day or not haha.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I live in California and they're strict here about emissions. Not sure about sound. But I was thinking of running them on my v6. Would it be that loud for cops to pull me over.?

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Lol no especially on a v6. Just as long as u don't revv it to 4k when next to them you will ok. I live in cali and have bassani xpipe with borla catback on a v8 and never told me anything

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
Well I live in California and they're strict here about emissions. Not sure about sound. But I was thinking of running them on my v6. Would it be that loud for cops to pull me over.?
Just hold onto the stock mufflers and put them back on when it comes time to get your car inspected

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
93 decibals is the legal limit in Cali, but almost no cops actually care. I know a guy with a 69 Firebird with a built 455 swap, he sets off car alarms just by starting it up, its loud as hell. But he never got pulled over.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Just hold onto the stock mufflers and put them back on when it comes time to get your car inspected
In Cali, anything after the cats is legal for inspection so as long as it isn't overly loud he is good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soccerluvr4 said:
93 decibals is the legal limit in Cali, but almost no cops actually care. I know a guy with a 69 Firebird with a built 455 swap, he sets off car alarms just by starting it up, its loud as hell. But he never got pulled over.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

In Cali, anything after the cats is legal for inspection so as long as it isn't overly loud he is good.
I don't think I'd reach 93 decibels with a true dual set up with stock cats right lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soccerluvr4 said:
Probably not, i heard somewhere that a lawnmower is around 95-100, so pretty much if you can talk over your exhaust you are good.
Haha that's an awesome thing to hear.! Thanks a lot for your help. And everyone else who participated in the thread. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Cali has got to be the most anal state ever. So glad I'm in Texas. I don't even have emissions in my town. :) no worries on any tree hugger crap

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
alrefire said:
I've got the 10s, and they're legal here.
the only requirement is having a muffler.
Cat's aren't even required.
Cats is a federal law, not state... It is a federal crime to remove cats

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
lowflyn said:
Yup..! My understanding is where I live the fine is like 10k and they can take your ride.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
lowflyn said:
Dang
Look at this
To any person repairing or installing any exhaust system, the Clean Air Act, as amended 1990 requires that;

AFTERMARKET CATALYTIC CONVERTERS MAY ONLY BE INSTALLED IN THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS

1. If the vehicle is missing a converter;*

2. If a state of local inspection program has determined that the existing converter has been lead-poisoned, damaged, or otherwise rendered ineffective and needs replacement. Retain a copy of this statement from any government inspection or enforcement agency for your records;

3. If the vehicle is over eight (8) years old, or has more than 80,000 miles AND a legitimate need for replacement has been established and documented. This situation normally would include only plugged converters or those damaged to the point where irreparable exhaust leaks are present. See documentation requirements below.

CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE EMISSION CONTROL DEVICES WHICH ARE DESIGNED TO LAST THE LIFE OF THE VEHICLE AND DO NOT NORMALLY REQUIRE REPLACEMENT. FURTHERMORE, IF THE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY USED AND MAINTAINED, ORIGINAL CONVERTERS ARE COVERED BY THE EMISSIONS CONTROL WARRANTY FOR EIGHT (8) YEARS OR 80,000 MILES. FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS ANY PERSON FROM REPLACING THESE DEVICES EXCEPT UNDER LIMITED CIRCUMSTANCES (ABOVE).

The fines for "tampering" with the emissions parts of a vehicle can be up to $25,000.

Is this an issue that should be of concern for those looking to increase the performance of our cars? Is there a "legitimate need" that we can claim for replacing our OEM cats?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
alrefire said:
Dang
Look at this
To any person repairing or installing any exhaust system, the Clean Air Act, as amended 1990 requires that;

AFTERMARKET CATALYTIC CONVERTERS MAY ONLY BE INSTALLED IN THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS

1. If the vehicle is missing a converter;*

2. If a state of local inspection program has determined that the existing converter has been lead-poisoned, damaged, or otherwise rendered ineffective and needs replacement. Retain a copy of this statement from any government inspection or enforcement agency for your records;

3. If the vehicle is over eight (8) years old, or has more than 80,000 miles AND a legitimate need for replacement has been established and documented. This situation normally would include only plugged converters or those damaged to the point where irreparable exhaust leaks are present. See documentation requirements below.

CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE EMISSION CONTROL DEVICES WHICH ARE DESIGNED TO LAST THE LIFE OF THE VEHICLE AND DO NOT NORMALLY REQUIRE REPLACEMENT. FURTHERMORE, IF THE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY USED AND MAINTAINED, ORIGINAL CONVERTERS ARE COVERED BY THE EMISSIONS CONTROL WARRANTY FOR EIGHT (8) YEARS OR 80,000 MILES. FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS ANY PERSON FROM REPLACING THESE DEVICES EXCEPT UNDER LIMITED CIRCUMSTANCES (ABOVE).

The fines for "tampering" with the emissions parts of a vehicle can be up to $25,000.

Is this an issue that should be of concern for those looking to increase the performance of our cars? Is there a "legitimate need" that we can claim for replacing our OEM cats?
Shops around here won't remove them.. Unless you know someone they won't even work on the exhaust if they have been removed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts