Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I see an old Charger or Challenger or Mustang, etc, the (presumably souped-up) engines always sound like sputtering motorboats. They seem barely able to idle without stalling and if I happen upon a guy just starting it up he immediately starts revving it to keep it going. Now mind, this is the result of MANY years of observation, not just some guy I saw once. I always assumed these cars have been hot-rodded and modified and that's the cause but why do they so often sound like out-of-tune motorcycles afterward?

·
Registered
38 Posts
These engines are not designed to idle smoothly they are designed to have huge amounts of power at a much higher rpm. The rough idle is because the lift and duration of the camshaft have been altered to give peek horsepower at higher rpms. the high compression pistons in combination with more fuel and the valves being open longer causes these engines to essentially run like crap at an idle. but I think it sounds really cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
HI
yea there supposed to sound like that .. its due to the big performance cams giving them that lope... they rev them to keep them cleared out when cold (most of them don't have a choke as a choke blocks air and causes turbulence so they remove the whole piece ) so when cold are a little difficult to keep running.
good luck
tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts