Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm just curious to hear what you guys in the community are saying about this new auto-manual transmission ford has in all 13 up vehicles. Also is it true that the difference between that transmission and the manual is human error making it very easy to shift without having a clutch ? I'm just curious thanks !

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Just a years up, you're gonna get some good responses for about a page and then the manual elitists and auto nut swingers are gonna come in and start bickering. That being said, these new autos are very badass transmissions.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Are you referring to the select-shift automatic transmissions? If so, they are very strong and quick to shift in drive...but have a slight delay to change gears when using the toggle switch...quickest times will be leaving the transmission in drive and punching it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like to think I can shift quicker than an auto lol but I've never been in a 13 plus auto stang. I feel like there would be some kind of pause with it not being dual clutch.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I can't really chime in regarding 0-60 or 1/4 times. Only have this to add:

I love new technology, I love the way cars are vs. the way they used to be. People who say they dont make them like they used to are right... and thank God. That said.. shifting through gears for me isn't about the speed or 0-60 its about the experience, the interaction. It's a way to become part of the car and the drive, to feel yourself drive and experience the engine and horse power. An Auto would likely beat me down the line... but I would still win.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As far as a drag race, with a tune, the new autos will flat out shift faster than any human can and without error.

On a road course, it's going to be a manual all day.

I personally like to shift my car manually and always will.

Although, DSG transmissions are a blast to drive, 8 millisecond shifts FFS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a manual, it's all I have ever driven. I have had many diff mustangs from 98 v6 to 91 5.0 to 01gt to 03 cobra to my current 13 gt. However these new MT82s are weak and if I'd known how strong the new Autos are I would have probably made the change to auto this go around.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I make fun of people with automatics on a GT... I dont care what people say about drag strips its still pretty goofy. My pops had a 70' Mach 1 and if he saw me in an automatic he'd talk about me so bad til I sold it. Im sure all the old heads in here would do the same...

2013 GTCS Sterling Grey, 3.73 gears, limited slip dif, MT82, Roush Axle-backs, 3 qtr window louvers

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
I had a 13 auto, a 2011 gt500, and I now have a 14 manual and I can tell you the auto was really fun after I tuned it, changed the gears, lowered it and replaced the upper and lower lca's. It was a really fun car to drive. I raced plenty of manuals and I never ever lost to a naturally aspirated manual. The only thing I hated was how there was a delay when flooring it. It takes a second to shift. The select shift is a joke though.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
You know...I had plenty of manual owners make fun of me for driving an auto at the drag strip. They shut up real quick when I started beating them by car lengths. I feel more connected to the road driving a manual though. If I ever get another auto it would have to be something like a gtr.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Still goofy lmao ^^^

2013 GTCS Sterling Grey, 3.73 gears, limited slip dif, MT82, Roush Axle-backs, 3 qtr window louvers

·
Registered
351 Posts
I love shifting when I am out driving for fun, but most driving is to get from here to there. The autos do that more efficiently, and can be set to shift better than 99% of drivers. For towing and being in traffic, you should have an auto. The new ones are coming out with 8-10 speeds in the near future. You will not see that in the manuals. It all boils down to individual preferences.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah I read other threads in here about you automatic guys... I dont go to drag strips so that factor doesnt matter much to me. At the end of the day its still a mustang so thats cool... just pokin fun Mikey, dont go posting your track slips lmfao

·
Registered
153 Posts
I love shifting when I am out driving for fun, but most driving is to get from here to there. The autos do that more efficiently, and can be set to shift better than 99% of drivers. For towing and being in traffic, you should have an auto. The new ones are coming out with 8-10 speeds in the near future. You will not see that in the manuals. It all boils down to individual preferences.
Totally agree

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I have heard a lot in the forums how guys with tunes and autos are posting low 12's in the quarter totally stock and with a tune and long tubes are posting high 11's. I like my manual though for now.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Still goofy lmao ^^^

Your quarter window louvers look goofy.............

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah yeah... dont get butt hurt cause you bought an auto...

·
Registered
32 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts