Mustang Evolution Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I hate my PZeros, and plan to replace them with Contis soon. Plenty of tread left, but since 14,000 miles they have been squirrelly. I have heard that is common with them. However, there are ways to use an automatic to move around in snow, which I have used on occasion. What gets me is how many people try to brake on snow and ice, without taking the car out of gear.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Who taught you to take the car out of gear when driving on snow? That's ridiculous. You want to use gears carefully to control you speed buildup and stay off the brakes as much as possible. Straight friction circle stuff that. You take the car out if gear and you have no way of controlling road speed other than complete reliance on the brakes, which will likely get the abs hammering pretty swiftly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The way I see it, The automatic of today is the stick of yesterday. The technology is light years ahead of cable driven overdrives and the tuning abilities in the new 4l80's and 6R80's is amazing. I get the whole manual trans and being one with the car nonsense. When Mustangs were making 275hp they needed all the help they can get to go fast. Now they make so much power it's actually a limiting factor to shift through gears manually. Whether you're into drag racing or not it can not be ignored that Automatic late model Mustangs are ***** slapping the MT82 cars up and down any surface. You throw in the fact that the current MT82 is notchy, has a poorly designed shifter bracket and location, poorly designed clutch line and recalls and failures stacked up to the ceiling.

You say it's just cool to drive a mustang that's not a stick shift. I think it's cooler today to drive an Automatic Mustang because it means your way smarter. You understand that the advancements in late model Automatic transmissions are going to make Manual transmissions obsolete.

The irony in my post, I own an M6 car. I have owned Automatic Race cars my whole life. I'm not a stick guy. My wife talked me into buying a New GT to take a break from racing. I bought an M6 because I thought why would you buy an Auto Mustang. I should have spent 5 seconds researching it and I would have found out that these MT82's are garbage. Mine is notchy, clunky, clutch sticks to the floor, shifter bends sideways going into third and over on SVTP there are records being set every day with 6R80's and the transbrakes aren't even in production to the public yet.

I'd trade for an AUTO ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Too funny... I also think its funny when I'm trying to be cool as I pass people who are checking out my car and then I miss freakin third gear. Or what about being at the light with lots of traffic behind ya and as soon as the light turn green I freakin stall out... even worse when forgetting that the car is in gear when you crank it up then completely dump the clutch thinking its in neutral. Fun fun times with the ol' MT82 lol...
^ Goofy .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Who taught you to take the car out of gear when driving on snow? That's ridiculous. You want to use gears carefully to control you speed buildup and stay off the brakes as much as possible. Straight friction circle stuff that. You take the car out if gear and you have no way of controlling road speed other than complete reliance on the brakes, which will likely get the abs hammering pretty swiftly.
I have done more than my share of driving in snow and ice. If you ever watch most of the people trying to stop on slick surfaces, you will notice that while the front brakes are locked up, the rear wheels will still be turning on a RWD. Brakes are front biased on cars. You should control braking without relying on electronics to CYA. When you are braking on a slick surfaces, put the car in neutral for maximum control. The engine is only going to be for when you are off the brakes. Just as important is knowing which routes to take and which to not. Any routes with stops on the up slope is asking for it. Also watch out for people who do not get enough speed to make it up a hill. They go too slow to have the needed momentum and get stuck, blocking the road, and sometimes sliding back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have done more than my share of driving in snow and ice. If you ever watch most of the people trying to stop on slick surfaces, you will notice that while the front brakes are locked up, the rear wheels will still be turning on a RWD. Brakes are front biased on cars. You should control braking without relying on electronics to CYA. When you are braking on a slick surfaces, put the car in neutral for maximum control. The engine is only going to be for when you are off the brakes. Just as important is knowing which routes to take and which to not. Any routes with stops on the up slope is asking for it. Also watch out for people who do not get enough speed to make it up a hill. They go too slow to have the needed momentum and get stuck, blocking the road, and sometimes sliding back.

Sorry but I'm not buying it. I grew up in northeast PA...lived in Chicago for 10 years driving my 5spd GT and spent close to 30 years in general driving auto and manual fwd and rwd cars and trucks in bad weather and never once have I ever had any kind of issue with not putting the car in neutral (stick) to slow down on snow or ice. The only thing you need is practice...well and a good set of snow tires and you can get through anything.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I learn driving in the mountains of Korea where the roads were steep and sheet ice. I was licensed for over twenty military vehicles, drove a deuce during a forest fire for two weeks, then a week later, was driving VIPs in limos, including a Presidential candidate, touring a flood that killed 264 people. I make no claims to be a great driver, but I know what I am doing. I have driven during blizzards and whiteouts. With so many cars today being FWD, the issue is not as big a deal, but a lot of older drivers love the Panther models, and like all big RWD cars, they are prone to locked front/turning rear wheels.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would have rather got a manual trans but with how jacked up my clutch foot is and how much a manual trans increased my chances of hurting my foot even worse I went with a auto.... It was either a automatic gt or no mustang at all.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's all just preference. I've had auto's and manuals. Both have their advantages. My M6 has been perfect and I don't regret getting one (yet). There are lemons in every massively produced transmission. Change the fluid to a good synthetic and change the bracket and/or shifter.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
The way I see it, The automatic of today is the stick of yesterday. The technology is light years ahead of cable driven overdrives and the tuning abilities in the new 4l80's and 6R80's is amazing. I get the whole manual trans and being one with the car nonsense. When Mustangs were making 275hp they needed all the help they can get to go fast. Now they make so much power it's actually a limiting factor to shift through gears manually. Whether you're into drag racing or not it can not be ignored that Automatic late model Mustangs are ***** slapping the MT82 cars up and down any surface. You throw in the fact that the current MT82 is notchy, has a poorly designed shifter bracket and location, poorly designed clutch line and recalls and failures stacked up to the ceiling.

You say it's just cool to drive a mustang that's not a stick shift. I think it's cooler today to drive an Automatic Mustang because it means your way smarter. You understand that the advancements in late model Automatic transmissions are going to make Manual transmissions obsolete.

The irony in my post, I own an M6 car. I have owned Automatic Race cars my whole life. I'm not a stick guy. My wife talked me into buying a New GT to take a break from racing. I bought an M6 because I thought why would you buy an Auto Mustang. I should have spent 5 seconds researching it and I would have found out that these MT82's are garbage. Mine is notchy, clunky, clutch sticks to the floor, shifter bends sideways going into third and over on SVTP there are records being set every day with 6R80's and the transbrakes aren't even in production to the public yet.

I'd trade for an AUTO ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
Well stated. The Mustangs have come with both transmission options to please all the masses. Choose your poison, and enjoy the ride. My wife does not drive a manual. She simply does not want to learn. For both of us to enjoy our Mustang, I purchased an automatic. It has not diminished the enjoyment one bit. It's still a fine ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I learn driving in the mountains of Korea where the roads were steep and sheet ice. I was licensed for over twenty military vehicles, drove a deuce during a forest fire for two weeks, then a week later, was driving VIPs in limos, including a Presidential candidate, touring a flood that killed 264 people. I make no claims to be a great driver, but I know what I am doing. I have driven during blizzards and whiteouts. With so many cars today being FWD, the issue is not as big a deal, but a lot of older drivers love the Panther models, and like all big RWD cars, they are prone to locked front/turning rear wheels.
I didn't mean to question your driving credentials, I consider everyone on here to be at the very least capable to above average driving ability wise with some of us having been around a lot longer than others. I have no issue with you statement when talking about older rwd cars, but with the current generation rwd sports cars...traction control and stability control, everything short of AI driving you where you want to go....shifting into neutral to stop IMO isn't needed. Driving a deuce and half when I was in 20+ years ago was fun though..... :)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Of course brakes are biased to the front. What you might be talking about is if you've completely CF'd your preparation for a braking event, you might want to pop it in neutral as you desperately seek to control the road speed with brakes you should have been controlling all along with your choice of gear. The rear wheels will only be still pushing on an automatic car. If you can keep your foot off the brake totally until the very end, great. This is one major reason why heavier 4WD trucks have a low range. Low range, not just for getting unstuck anymore.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got an auto because dealing with CT/NYC traffic would have angered me beyond belief in a manual. However I do have access to my fathers 07 Mazda miata. People may laugh but that car shifts like butter and handles like its on rails. So much fun to drive on the twisty mountain roads in Maine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got an auto because dealing with CT/NYC traffic would have angered me beyond belief in a manual. However I do have access to my fathers 07 Mazda miata. People may laugh but that car shifts like butter and handles like its on rails. So much fun to drive on the twisty mountain roads in Maine.
that is true, they make for amazing track day cars, specially SC or turbo, i just would never daily one

·
Registered
8 Posts
74 posts and nobody mentioned it yet :whistling:

The problem with the automatic (at least on a 2013 which I got), is that it adds $2200 to the sticker price. No added cost for the manual.

Hell, for a little more than that ($2600 I believe), you can get the Track Pack option which includes 3.73 Torsen helical differential, 19x9" rims, Pirelli P-Zero tires (at $350 a pop retail), Brembo brakes up front, Boss 302 radiator, and engine oil cooler.

Moreover, the Track Pack is not offered on an auto car. Ford felt the gearing is too low.

Yeah, driving with the stick is fun, as long as you don't get caught in stop-and-go driving or muck around cramped parking lots all day, but in my case, I don't use the car as a daily driver so it's OK.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I thought I made it explicit that I was talking about automatics. With the new cars today, even the automatics probably don't have that problem, but if I am coasting downhill on a slick surface, I tend to move into neutral when I brake out of habit.

You have never lived until you have drifted a deuce on an icy mountain road. It is a thrill like no other.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I bring up the auto point only because we are talking about what's "better" here.

A better choice with an auto heading down the slick hill is, the same as a manual. Before you head over the edge, select the lowest gear you can and roll the car down using as little brake as possible. This kills the auto push and helps hold your speed down without brakes.

ABS is awesome but, as you said, it won't overcome physics. Having no restraint on the car's buildup of forward momentum with engine braking, means more and more reliance on the brakes as you continue down the hill. This isn't a safe strategy.

It also prevents you from being immediately able to use the throttle gently to help correct a slide and you could precipitate a slide when you bang the car back into drive going down the slippery surface. A manual you can rev-match and snick down the box without bother, on any surface, if you weren't smart to select the best gear at the top of the hill.

Again, best to select the lowest gear before you need it and roll down the hill on as little brakes as possible. Goes for a Deuce, a 5.0 or a Mini.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I agree that using the engine to hold speed down is the best way. It is when you are going slowly down a hill and the light changes, or you have to stop due to an issue, there is a point where you have to use the brakes, and taking it out of gear is done at the last second. My whole point is the people approaching a stop and cannot figure out why their brakes are not working. I have even seen some who are stopped, but the rear wheels keep trying to move the car.

People do not understand their cars, do not have a connection to them anymore than they would a piece of furniture. Automatics are made for them and maybe that is a pity. If they had to pay more attention to actual driving, maybe they would not be on their electronics as much. There is no greater form of fun, than a winding road through the hills using a manual. But it can be almost as much fun with the new models with the sport shift feature. The button is not as satisfying as a short throw shifter, but does give more control. For a daily driver, it is the best of choices.

Also, I should mention that manuals may be obsolete in a few years. If as I predict, all cars will wind up with a form of hybrid drive in order to meet upcoming regs. I see it being a standard feature that cars and trucks will have small battery pack that runs all accessories (steering, water pump, A/C, etc.). It would use regenerative braking to charge, plus potentially solar power. It would allow the engine to remain off when the vehicle was not in motion and provide power for the first few seconds of motion. It is going to be heck on racers, but like always they will find ways around the problems.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have a auto I'm connected to my car I don't text and drive . You can't stereotype everyone into a group because we have autos. I can drive a m6 just fine had one for a yr and the trans was a pos I now have my auto which is tuned and fing love it

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Well stated. The Mustangs have come with both transmission options to please all the masses. Choose your poison, and enjoy the ride. My wife does not drive a manual. She simply does not want to learn. For both of us to enjoy our Mustang, I purchased an automatic. It has not diminished the enjoyment one bit. It's still a fine ride.
Agreed. The GT500 and Boss LSs with the auto sold like crazy...

/sarcasm

61 - 80 of 106 Posts