Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know what the underdrive pullies do but, mac and asp both have pullies and mac comes with two and asp comes with one, what is the difference in HP gains between the brands (if any) because one is more expensive (at EE). which one do you guys recommend? also dont both require new belts.

sorry about the shitty explanation...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,872 Posts
More than likely one of them is for a 94-98 and one is for a 99+ the 99+ comes with one pulley and is more expensive while the 94-98 come with 2 and are cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
I know the 99+ needs a shorter belt. and also the 99+ comes with a new harmonic balancer(not sure about 94-98) and if you have a 99+ they changed the balancer about halfway in 2000 so theres 2 diff ones for the 99+
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well would it be better to get just the crank pully or the water and alternator also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
Most just use a crank pulley on a V6, but you can use them all if you want. It all helps. The alternator one is overdrive and makes up for loss in alternator charging from the underdrive crank pulley. This helps for people with huge stereo systems etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
yup, what Rick said. i am getting the setup with the crank pulley, water pulley, and OD alternator pulley. but, i am only installing the crank and water pump pulley for now. you dont need an OD alternator pulley on a stock stang. i am saving the OD pulley for whenever i get a system put in my car. that way i dont have to order one and wait for it to come in the mail and install it. if your stang is stock and you have no plans on getting a system put in then go ahead and just get the crank and water pump pulley.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Concordium said:
yup, what Rick said. i am getting the setup with the crank pulley, water pulley, and OD alternator pulley. but, i am only installing the crank and water pump pulley for now. you dont need an OD alternator pulley on a stock stang. i am saving the OD pulley for whenever i get a system put in my car. that way i dont have to order one and wait for it to come in the mail and install it. if your stang is stock and you have no plans on getting a system put in then go ahead and just get the crank and water pump pulley.
When you get a Crank pulley it slows down the water pump and on a stock alt pulley with a UDP at idle the lights do go dim at night and the alt is not putting out any positive voltage for charging!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Danger Dude said:
When you get a Crank pulley it slows down the water pump and on a stock alt pulley with a UDP at idle the lights do go dim at night and the alt is not putting out any positive voltage for charging!!!!
yes, that happens when you are at idle. now imagine if i had a thumpin system in the car :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Concordium said:
yes, that happens when you are at idle. now imagine if i had a thumpin system in the car :eek:
Yes I have had thumpin sound systems in my cars but I have a thumpin sound coming from my cam that is the sweetest music to my ears !!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
I have a system in my car and a udp crank and a udp alt pulley...

I dont notice any difference in charging. Even in traffic.. long trips.. idling..

no dimming of anything whatsoever.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Smokedya95stang said:
I have a system in my car and a udp crank and a udp alt pulley...

I dont notice any difference in charging. Even in traffic.. long trips.. idling..

no dimming of anything whatsoever.
You wont with the alt pulley speeding it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
i had a underdrive alt pulley, not an overdrive alt pulley.

It was a kit from Hypertech, they dont make it anymore.

Plus when i switched alternators, i never switched pulleys. So whats on it now is a stock pulley.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top