Car engine makes a ticking noise.
Checked the oil. Gets less when it's totally topped off, but is
still there.

Ideas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It goes away when I get to speed. only at idle.
sounds like a belt or accessory on the belt making noise. It's not from the top of the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
could be a lifter making the noise. when they partially collapse theat idle they will make noise when you accellerate they pump up and stop ticking. Take a rubber hose about 2 feet long hold one end to your ear and the other end move around the the valve cover and engine to isolate the sound and it will help you locate the tick ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Red6Banger said:
The common problem associated with the ticking sound is a header leak.
That is possible if he has recently changed his headers or put in new gaskets. But if he has the stock headers and has not done anything to them it is remote that the stock gaskets went bad. Fords exhaust gaskets are well made!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Red6Banger said:
The common problem associated with the ticking sound is a header leak.
That is possible if he has recently changed his headers or put in new gaskets. But if he has the stock headers and has not done anything to them it is remote that the stock gaskets went bad. Fords exhaust gaskets are well made!!!
What corey stated is true. Also, If it were an exhaust leak of some type, the sound would only get worse with acceleration. More exhaust at higher RPM's, would mean more noise from the engine compartment if it were an exhaust leak. Besides, most exhaust leaks are, IMO, the most recognizable sound an engine can make.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Most ticking is the rockers. I *could* be a leak at the header, but if you exhaust is mostly stock, It prob wont be.

Use the tube idea and find out exactly where the tick is coming from.

·
Registered
166 Posts
IM willing to bet its the tensioner arm clicking. mine clicks at idle and you can hear it. Ever since i put on my ud pulley and changed belts, when the engine turns over it raises the arm a tiny bit up and down and makes a faint clicking noise

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the tensioner. Damn you think they just cobbled the v6 together and then went onto the v8. When will ford give some decent oem quality...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts