Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2012 MT82 Mustang V6 with 90300 miles on it. I was having an issue with low brake pedal. The handbrake was loose and how much ever i tightened it the rear passenger side wheel kept turning. So i figured the auto adjuster had gone bad in the caliper and replaced the caliper. Now after a few weeks its the driver side rear caliper that seems to not hold the wheel when the handbrake is pulled. Its not as bad as the first one but its on the verge of giving up. I noticed this when i started to notice that the pedal is going a little more lower than normal.

My question is although i did not see any screws on the caliper to adjust the internal mechanism for auto adjusting, is there any way i can adjust the driver side caliper or replacing is the only option?

Note: I have adjusted the lever from the inside of the car and have bled the brakes. I m sure there is no air in the system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like you may have two different issues going on. The brake pedal itself is lower than normal and the parking break is not working? If there is no air in the system you could have a worn out master cylinder is there any visible leaked around the calipers? . Not uncommon a bad master cylinder to show up after bleeding brakes. As far as the e brake not working with everything adjusted properly it might be bad threads like the article says.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you may have two different issues going on. The brake pedal itself is lower than normal and the parking break is not working? If there is no air in the system you could have a worn out master cylinder is there any visible leaked around the calipers? . Not uncommon a bad master cylinder to show up after bleeding brakes. As far as the e brake not working with everything adjusted properly it might be bad threads like the article says.

This is the exact thought i had when i was diagnosing the problem and i checked everything and nothing seemed to be wrong. I scratched my head for more than a week on this. The master cylinder is okay, no leaks and it holds pressure. The reason why the handbrake and low pedal issue is related is because the internal adjuster when worn out/not working the pads don't stay close to the disc. They move far away from the disc. The internal adjusting mechanism is the one that keeps the pad closer to the disc. Due to this you need to push the pedal in further to get that travel.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a video about these calipers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPRNbn9bdJg

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

It sounds like from this it could just be an issue with the adjuster

I came across this video but it looks like ford's mechanism is a little different that audi. For ford the piston directly screws in on a screw but for audi it has a small circle thing running behind the piston that pushes it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those who are curious to know I ended up changing the caliper today and now everything is normal. The piston in original caliper wouldn't come out when the handbrake was applied. This pointed towards the internals being screwed up for auto adjusting mechanism.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts