Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know if I take my car out of overdrive and drop( from a stop) in to first then in to second will that hurt my tranny? I seem to get alot of power by doing this when i race and I only do it when Im racing. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
no, if you put it in 1st and shift to 2nd and then D, youre not hurting your tranny.

its not advised because the computer can shift faster than you can, and it knows much better points to shift. taking OD off does nothing though. it doesnt widen your gear ratios or anything. it just removes the 4th gear. that is all. dont expect better times w/ OD off vs. OD on. wont happen.

just get a shift kit, keep it in D and floor it. youll get a better tranny response that way

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
exacty what Monkey said if you want to improve shift points in a auto get a shift kit and after more mods like rear end gear change then get a fordchip

·
Registered
166 Posts
And if you really wanna up the fun..get a converter. That will make your first gear a beast. :headbang: Not to mention you car will rev up INSANELY fast. When i rev my car now driving along, ill thow it in neutral and give it two taps, and bam 5k+rpm. I love it! :shock: :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
jesus, what does it do exactly? Install? I'm not sure what my next mod will be, but I'm thinking something big, but not supercharger big, you know?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
well, i have a PI 2600 installed.

www.howstuffworks.com gives a great detailed explanation of what it does. its basically a clutch for an automatic tranny. Plus it multiplies the torque transfer from the engine to the wheels at a higher rate. this means you get more hp to the wheels. aftermarket ones are typically lighter too meaning you can rev a little quicker.

install is: drop the tranny, drain all 13.9qts, take old TC off, put new on, fill with new fluid. of course its more complex than that, but if youre not a tranny guy, i strongly suggest paying $200 for someone to install one.

a good TC can drop ETs by as much as 0.5sec off your ET.

·
Registered
250 Posts
when getting a new tc installed, should the flywheel also be upgraded? Also, would this be a nice addition right after I put some 4.10's on my car?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
first, autos dont have flywheels... only manuals. autos have flexplates. there is no aftermarket flexplate, so dont worry about it.

yes, this would be great after 4.10s

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A tq converter is something I have been wanting to do for a while. Which one should I go with? I was thinking a Pi 3000 but i dont know. and what does the 3000 stall mean?sorry I have not been able to reply. Thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
the 3000 is the lock-up stall speed. www.howstuffworks.com then search for torque converter. understand how it works first.

depending on your mods you have now (by your sig), 3000 will be too high for you currently

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
How Much power can a Stock auto handle?? If i plan to upgrade should i got 5 speed or get a new auto tranny

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
well, a 5spd wont handle anymore than the auto.

the stock auto is supposed to hold up to 700tq. However, i would keep some in reserve just in case. All you would need is a built tranny, and that would only be like $800 for a good build, but could cost upto $1600 or so.

the stock auto will hold up for a while. just depends upon how often you race it. just get a tranny cooler and that will help it

·
Registered
250 Posts
okay, i read the howstuffworks, what is the difference between 1500 and 2800 stall speeds? the article didn't explain it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
the speed at which the converter locks up

basically with a 1500 stall, you can powerbrake to like 1200rpms before the wheels spin. with a 2800 stall, you can power brake to about 2200rpms before the wheels spin.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
basically its like when you WHOMP on the gas at a stop the rpm's rise to about 1000 b4 it fully locks up and engages and then it burns major rubber. b4 i got my tc i couldnt even do a stand alone burnout, you know just hitting the gas from a stop and spinning them. now i do it all the time. and 1-2 shift chirps even when youre racing and keep it in D so i think its a pretty good mod. i had to rebuild my tranny so i thought i might as well put it in.

heres another thing you can do while your tranny is dropped. THE J-MOD. the people over on the tbird website, TCCOA.COM do this mod to their auto trannies all the time and everyone has nothing but praise on it. it has something to do with drilling hiles in your valve bodies or sumthin. i dont know im not that technicaly inclined when it comes to auto's. but research it on there, as we(the tbirds) and you guys(mustangs) have the same automatic tranny's (4R70W) it will help drastically along with a 3000rpm stall and 4.10's and a tranny cooler. im thinking itll shave at least .7 seconds off your et.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Monkey said:
it just removes the 4th gear. that is all. dont expect better times w/ OD off vs. OD on. wont happen.
I like to say in my personal experience thats not true at all. When I went to the track the first time with just exhaust my best run with the OD on was a 16.9 then when I went again about half way down the track I shut the OD off and it improved my time to a 16.2. What Ive notice when I shut the OD off my RPMs went up alot quicker. it wasnt sluggish at all like it was when the OD was on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts