Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not saying I'm going to, but I have an auto and my car is fun and all, but I really regret not getting a manual. What would it cost to change transmissions? Lol

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Not to be a prick, but if you can, buy a manual car or truck. It'll get the bug out. It costs alot in a brand new car. That kind of swap is done in older ones. My 1970 for example is an auto with a 302 boss motor(C/W makeshifted) and for a manual swap it'll take about 4,000 all said and done.

You'll need a dual mass flywheel, clutch, third pedal, the tranny itself, boot, knob, the stuff to make the pedal actually engage and disengage the clutch, probably a computer recalibration since its auto and it will not like you gutting it like that, and above all that a lot of money and time

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Not worth the hassle on a newer car that parts are still expensive for. Maybe down the road, when some '11-14 Mustangs are in graveyards.

I've done an engine/tranny swap, made custom wiring harnesses, fabbed small things to make stuff work, but I have no desire to try a manual swap on a newer car. Much better off just trading it in toward the same model.

I quit driving a manual for two years. Summer before last I tried getting a '00 Camaro off a guy with a manual transmission. The deal fell through, but after driving a manual again on the test drive, I knew I was missing something. I made it right when I got my Mustang.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I ran into a similar issue a few years back. I had an auto "sports car" and was dyeing to get back in a manual. So, instead of spending $ on trading far the same car in manual that I would know nothing about as far as mods and its history. I started searching out OLD performance cars. About a month later I dropped 2500 cash on a 1987 (I think that was the year) Porsche 944 turbo in manual. I gutted the interior the first day and left in only front seats. I then processed to drive the hell out of that car. I still had a reliable DD so I didn't really care about hurting the 944 to bad. I had the car till I bought my mustang, just couldn't afford insurance on two cars after I moved into a house and now am trying to start a family. I will tell you now, I have no regrets. That car was soooooooooooo much fun and nothing beat hoping in an auto and crushing to work when I just wanted to get there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts