Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was just wondering if it would be very hard to convert my auto to a t-5, see i didnt get consulted when this car was bought as to weather or not i would like an auto, and now im starting to miss my 5 speed. And i found a new t-5 for like 1300$ and i just wanted to know if its worth it. a local shop said they could do the work for like 500$? and if im doing this any way could i go for a t-56 and get that xtar gear? but my only main problem is that I really dont want to buy a new car so im kinda stuck with the auto if I cant convert it. well thanks for the help

·
Registered
386 Posts
Midwest mustang was hooking people up with t-5 converstion kits for about.. ~1200 i believe.

I cant remember the price.

That was everything you needed. Tranny, bellhousing, clutch, shifter, pedals , ect ect ect.

What you are paying for a tranny 1300 is more than his whole kit.

Not to mention that that shop that does the work is going to charge you an arm and a leg for everything else they need.
You can get a T-5 no problem. But now you need all the little things.
500 for labor does seem right. Thats about a 8-12 hour job. Labor might run you about 600.

You would really have to research this more. Find out a parts list..

Email [email protected] (midwestmustang) and figure out how much his kit costs.

Then talk to this shop to figure out an accurate labor quote. It may not be worth it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
if you are serious about it, i'd recommend buying a whole kit so that you don't have to hunt for every part you need, like smokedya said. honestly, you can get a built 600hp worthy t5 for that kind of money... what you need is a junkyard t5 and rebuild what needs it. you could go ahead and upgrade tailshaft while you're at it to strengthen it. if i was you i'd get the kit minus the tranny, and have someone do it. trannies come and go, and if you don't know what you're doing, don't mess with it.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
new t-5s from gefracing.com were 750 bucks for the v6 a while back so check around. be ready cuz your resale value is gonna be poop and you are gonna have ALOT of this and that to buy its a major issue, i would just trade for a manual

1 - 4 of 4 Posts