Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 V6 with an auto. I was looking around for shift kits, but I am becoming a bit confused as to which transmission I have. Some sites say the 2003 has a 4R70W, other sites say it's an AODE. Are these the same tranmissions or are they different. I know that a few years ago Ford stopped making their own transmissions and switched to a german Manufacturer, ZF Friedrichshafen AG. So I'm taking a guess that the AODE was the last automatic transmission Ford made for the Mustang before the merger with ZF and the 4R70W is the transmission that ZF produces? Like I said, I'm just guessing on that since I can't find a real answer. Anyway, my real question is will a shift kit that says it's for a 94-03 AODE transmission work in a 4R70W? The reason I ask is because I ran accrossed a site that had one shift kit for an AODE and one for a 4R70W and thats what made me start to think they are different.

Also, if they are the correct kits, I have narrowed my search down to two manufactures; Performace Automatic or Level 10 Performance Transmission Systems. Has anyone had any experience with either manufacturer? I was just wonder which one is recommended. I'm looking to increase shift firmness and I'm going to install a higher stall Torque Converter so I can launch at a higher RPM closer to my peak Torque RPM range. I'm hoping that between this and 3.73's I can get my 1/4 mile times down to high to mid 14's.

With all stock and a hot (91-93 degrees out) day I ran 16.4 sec. I changed out the air filter and on a cooler night (68-70 degrees) I ran 15.6 sec. Between the filter and the outside temp I almost shaved a second off. But in both cases I ran the 60' in 2.5-2.6, I'm thinking if I can decrease my launch time to around 1.9-2.0, I might be able to hit my goal without a supercharger or rebuilding the engine. Is my thinking logical? or should I spend the money to increase the HP and Torque output? Will a chip firm up the shifts or just change the shift points? I want the car to be a street/strip car so want it to still be comfortable to cruise around town in driving wise too. Thanks for the help.

-Mike

·
Registered
941 Posts
i'm sorry, but i'm an 5 spd.

4r70w is your tranny.
AODE just stands for Automatic OverDrive E*****************? not sure on the E, but you get my point. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
AODE is for 94-95 mustangs, everything after that has a 4R70W in it. As far has Performace Automatic or Level 10 Performance Transmission Systems, these are used to rebuild your transmission. You don't need that until your up to about 600 ponies or you have over 200,000 miles on your tranny. The best shift kit out there is the Transgo. :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
I will steer you away from Level 10. A friend of mine has gone through about 4 of their trannies and is getting his 5th(I think?) replaced right now. Their not that great. Lentech, Baumann are better.

96+ have a 4R70W. If you go to a shop make sure you say that. When I bought my shift kit, I had to tell the guy it wasnt AODE (Automatic OverDrive Electronic).
;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
just a quick note...the "E" in AODE stands for "electronic" something to do with the OD or shifting or some computer nonsense like that

·
Registered
109 Posts
OOOPs sorry didnt read post :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help! My daughters 95 Mustang has transmission woes. It's an AODE. At 60 to 70 MPH the car changes gears from 4th to 2nd. I also have a check engine light. I have a trustworthy transmission mechanic who diagnosed a faulty mlps switch which was the same as the computer code. A new switch did not relieve the problem. Please help before we blow the motor up. Thanks Bill

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
How about you start a new post...in a thread that isn't 5 years old lol.

But...if the trustworthy mechanic was wrong...how is he trustworthy?

·
Registered
617 Posts

With all stock and a hot (91-93 degrees out) day I ran 16.4 sec. I changed out the air filter and on a cooler night (68-70 degrees) I ran 15.6 sec. Between the filter and the outside temp I almost shaved a second off.-Mike
Ahem...bullshit you cut a second off your time with a filter swap...with cold air, exhaust, and the same car I ran a [email protected] 86mph about 4 years ago..All I wanna know is where in the balls can I get a magic filter like this. haha

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Justin as my favorite nephew I'll forgive you for posting on a really fuckin old thread :) Don't let it happen again :eek:

How did your Dad's eye operation go ????

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
the 99+ auto v6's run high 15's stock at best. With all the bolt ons AND rear gears/tlok and a 2.1 60ft (if you can with an auto...) you should see mid to low 15s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts