Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys now that i have finally decided what power route Im going(vortech S/C). I need some help in the power prep stage. I plan on getting the Boss 302 I/M and Shorty Headers(because i need to keep my stock cats).

What brand shorty headers would you recommend? I also plan to upgrade the cams. Which cams would you guys recommend?

thirdly i need to also upgrade my upper and lower control arms. What brands would you recommend with those?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Ok guys now that i have finally decided what power route Im going(vortech S/C). I need some help in the power prep stage. I plan on getting the Boss 302 I/M and Shorty Headers(because i need to keep my stock cats).

What brand shorty headers would you recommend? I also plan to upgrade the cams. Which cams would you guys recommend?

thirdly i need to also upgrade my upper and lower control arms. What brands would you recommend with those?
Don't bother with shorty headers, if your going to do long tubes + a catted x or h pipe worth it, but changing out the shorty headers on this car for different shorty headers, not worth it.

If you wanna go big whiteline for the control arms, my budget restricts me from this, so I am going BMR myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Will i need the relocation brackets for either the BMR or the Whiteline LCAs?
Also which Kooks headers should i get or work with the Borla cat back system i have already? 1-3/4in or 1-7/8in?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Also which Kooks headers should i get or work with the Borla cat back system i have already? 1-3/4in or 1-7/8in?
I am not so sure on the long tube headers, though I think most people that do FI go with 1-3/4". I think there are some others on here with more knowledge in that area that can help ya.

as for the relocation brackets, you will only need those if you lower the car, if you are not lowering the car, but just trying to prevent wheel hop from the FI you are doing, you'll just need the LCA. Also would recommend considering an aftermarket panhard bar. The stock ones are not overly stiff, know people have bent them before, and just would be worth your while to help stiffen up the back end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya i already have an Airbag suspension, Panhand bar and Caster/camber plates that i haven't installed on my car yet.

·
Registered
536 Posts
my buddy just had the 1-3/4 installed and after the dyno tune he said he car was pumping out 450 to the wheels. another car same mods wasn't pushing out as much with the 1-7/8. I would go with the 3/4th

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See I'm also Curious about that Cobra Jet Mani, but without any numbers I just don't know for sure.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Boss manifold with s/c is not a good idea
All of the fastest centri sc drag cars have the boss IM, please she's some light on this. I've seen a video of ONE that blew up but that was at some ungodly psi, (I know the car was well north of 1000 rwhp) and they even replaced it with another boss IM and it was just fine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
if you notice people with forced induction generally have the stock manifold. There is a good reason for this. The "boss" manifold creates high rpm power but loses torque/hp down low so the torque curve moves way over to the right on a graph. The car wont start "making" more power until about 7000rpm, it will acctually lose power up to that point. When running forced induction most tuners recommend not to spin the engine that fast under boost for obvious reason. Secondly a supercharger will add massive torque mid rpm range. The stock intake manifold also has more torque/power in the middle of the rpm range like the supercharger. When used together they work hand in hand, its tunning for responsiveness if you will. So basically when your boosting having the stock manifold will help you put the power down for a longer window of time at the right time versus having power at 7000-7500rpm which your rarely using and is such a short time. If you are N/A and road racing like me that's a different story for having a boss mani as im always downshifting at 8,000rpm....

If you are looking for top hp numbers the boss manifold will make more power up top however the stock manifold will give you more useable power and torque especially on the street

If you dont want to take my word for it. Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRh9YDrWI8k

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Those are some interesting points, and could save me a bunch of money. :p

now the question is how would the Cobra Jet manifold work with a Vortech Supercharger?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts