Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice on how to improve my gas mileage? I have a 2000 with about 45k miles and I get about 224 miles per tank. I always use fuel cleaner and maintain it every month. When I drive, I make sure to keep the rpm under 2k, but I do most of my driving in the city. The price of gas is getting expensive this summer so please help! :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Honostly theres really nothing you can do.
There are no magical devices that save fuel.
Dont get fooled by the tornado or anything like that.
Mustangs just arent meant to save gas.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got 310 miles out of a recent tankful. I regularly get 25 mpg doing 75+ mph. If I keep it below 70 I get 27 or so. I do 90% of my driving on the highway, 206 miles from home to work.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
My 02 with 40xxx miles on it gets about 250-260 miles to the tank...that's mostly highway miles with me making the 3 hour trip in an hour 45. But that's just me. I try not to be too heavy on the gas, but I have fun sometimes. Have to make sure my tires are still back there every once in a while

·
Registered
798 Posts
CAI, exhaust, chip, etc... will all help save fuel, but gotta remember to keep your foot out of the gas pedal.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
i suppose we should do it per half tank..?

haha, but really, why is that? and how should we figure it out?
You fill your tank up three times and take in a row and record your gas mileage and then average it out or something like that

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Use your trip odometer, figure how many miles you got on how many gallons, then divide gallons into miles, that will give you miles per gallon, that is how you figure mileage.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Rick0636 said:
Use your trip odometer, figure how many miles you got on how many gallons, then divide gallons into miles, that will give you miles per gallon, that is how you figure mileage.

werd.
Just never do "per tank" very inaccurate.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Smokedya95stang said:
werd.
Just never do "per tank" very inaccurate.
Unless you fill it to the top, and run it till it's dry :p

To improve gas mileage you can do a few things...
Stop driving (not a very popular choice)
Dont take the RPM's over 2 grand
Inflate all tires up to 32-35 PSI
In a stick, dont Down Shift
In an automatic, be sure your OD is on
Dont street race, drag race, or autocross
Dont use crappy gas
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Use cruise control when you can

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do 206 miles to work and 206 miles back. I know exactly what my mpg is, day in/day out, every week since I bought it. However I never tried to see how far I could go on a tankful, but 310 is my high for now. I probably could have hit 350 no sweat.

Steve

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a 3k stall torque convertor, big ass rims, i run my a/c sometimes... and I never let my rpms drop below 3 grand.

I get like 11 mpg.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Here is one you might or might not know, on highway trips in hot weather, you will actually save gas by running your a/c and rolling the windows up tight, the decreased wind resistance compensates for any loss by running the a/c, or so we were told in automotive classes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I run the A/C while my windows are down. That way I get the benefit of "looking cool" but also get the coldness of the A/C.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts