Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Bama tune and recently hit the dyno. Now my dilema, I ran 4 pulls all done in 3rd gear (Auto). 267 max hp and 258 max torque. 2 with the tune and 2 stock. All 4 pulls had roughly the same HP but the 2 stock pulls had almost 18 more lbs of torque. My mods are Airaid CAI, BBK shortie headers, 91 race tune and Borla S Type axle backs. Has anyone had a similar issue/experience?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nope ! Good gains on all 3 tunes we have from MPT. V6 with auto. 91 Race tune actually chirps the tires in second. Butt dyno only though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have had good results using their tunes , but the HP gains advertised fall a bit short some times, on a automatic car they change the shift points so car might feel like its faster but the HP is the same , I certainly wouldnt expect a lower HP number , some thing aint right there.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Nothing wrong with Bama tunes and very solid they are. Hands down, for the Cyclone engine, no one beats MPT tunes. They are the masters at tuning the 3.7.

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
agreed with above. I love the mpt performance 87 tune I got. it opened the car up like crazy. so much more low end power it's insane.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hey guys, I have a Bama tune and recently hit the dyno. Now my dilema, I ran 4 pulls all done in 3rd gear (Auto). 267 max hp and 258 max torque. 2 with the tune and 2 stock. All 4 pulls had roughly the same HP but the 2 stock pulls had almost 18 more lbs of torque. My mods are Airaid CAI, BBK shortie headers, 91 race tune and Borla S Type axle backs. Has anyone had a similar issue/experience?? Thanks!!
Autos are always funky to dyno because of the converter, but it could be a few things.

1. Did you happen to get the graphs printed out and compare the curves? Area under the curve > peak numbers. That being said, 18 ft/lbs is 18 ft/lbs, but there might be more to this story.

2. Drag strip test. compare 60' and trap speed between the tunes.

3. Which runs did you do first, stock tune, or Bama tune? The car may have heat soaked between the runs and pulled timing.
Important safety tip, always datalog your dyno pulls.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info!

I think I'm going to wait till I install gears and x pipe then update the tune and see what it reads. Then take her to the track and see what happens. I'll also post a picture of the graphs maybe that can help as well! Thanks again!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Autos are always funky to dyno because of the converter, but it could be a few things.

1. Did you happen to get the graphs printed out and compare the curves? Area under the curve > peak numbers. That being said, 18 ft/lbs is 18 ft/lbs, but there might be more to this story.

2. Drag strip test. compare 60' and trap speed between the tunes.

3. Which runs did you do first, stock tune, or Bama tune? The car may have heat soaked between the runs and pulled timing.

Important safety tip, always datalog your dyno pulls.

I'll post the curves soon.

2 tuned pulls then the stock.

I'm still new to data logging so I have to get that going too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
HP numbers are about the same , Id say your car was either heat soaked or the convertor on the auto trans throws the numbers off because as Voltwings said earlier they can act funky on a dyno. I wouldnt loose any sleep over it , You will notice a differance when you lower the rear gears like you are planning . GOOD LUCK , Brother ALSO some times you have to drive the car for about 30 miles or so for the tune to do its thing , so if your just changing tunes & then doing a pull , that could be your problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happened to me too. I have the exact same mods and tune. I think I sent them an email telling them I did not notice any gains or differences at all from their tune and they sent me a revision with "added throttle response and low end torque". I felt it that time which was great! I expected more out of it still but at least it made some difference the second time! will be trying MPT next.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be installing the gears this weekend and hopefully a new dyno run in the next few weeks. Already have the x pipe on as well! ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts