Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, as some of you know, I am starting a write-up on BAMA tunes, my experience with them, how they compare to MPT, and everything else outside and in between.
Alex from AM was kind enough to hook me up with a free trial tuner (Shout out to AM for all they do for us forum guys), and it arrived today. I made my car bone-stock for a few weeks leading up to this so I could really get a good comparison and feel for the tune. (I have 3.31 gears from the factory).
Customer service - Bama was nothing but polite when I spoke to them on the phone, quick and easy, polite, even helped me find my 4-digit computer code in my engine bay. Friendly, talkative, an overall positive experience. That was Monday in the late afternoon, and they started work on my tunes on Tuesday. Thursday afternoon it shipped.
Today, Friday, the tuner arrived (24 hours from them to me, being in NY has its advantages for once). I put in my Airaid Cold Air Intake, and drove that around for a bit. No noticeable gains or difference besides the "whoosh" noise, which really isn't that loud IMO. When I got back, my private parts delivery man (AKA UPS guy) had just dropped off a package from AM, the tuner ( SCT SF4/X4).
I plugged it into my car, selected 93R tune, and began the tuning process. Couldn't be easier, literally "plug-and-play". After it loaded, I waited a few seconds, turned the car on, and sat for a few minutes watch my RPMs. No idle surges. Stock my car would actually idle surge a bit, with the tune it did not once in 3 timed minutes I watched it for.
After letting the car run for a bit, I took it for a quick spin before work. It just FELT better driving around side streets, the shifts were much better, and that god awful kicking-from-behind shift at low speeds was gone thank God. I took it on a few 1/8 mile long straight-aways where I could gun it, and HOLY JESUS, I was blown away. This thing is not the same car. I even picked my dad up to show him, and he was blown away too. It is much, much quicker in a straight line, once you hit 3,000 RPMs you shoot like a rocket, I had to be careful as the tires were trying to break loose and I was on a public road at 3PM.... down the block from a school.... maybe not the best test area... LOL. Anywho, I did that a few times and my 0-60 times were much improved. Bone stock I clocked in at 0-60 in 5.9, 3 times. With the CAI only, I got 5.8, 6.0, and 6.1. With the tune + CAI, I got 5.3, 5.1, and 5.25. I used the g-tac and pocketdyno apps for Iphone to time myself, and it is as close to accurate as I can get on an iphone. I have an OBDII dongle in the mail from amazon to get some "dyno" HP/TQ numbers in next week.
I will be testing it out once I get out of work tonight, and go on a few highway cruises and do some more testing. I am hoping for some "dyno" numbers next week, and I will be taking a long road trip up to NH and will get some MPG numbers for you all. Any questions, comments, suggestions, you name it leave 'em here, I'm always on and have the app for my phone so I will respond ASAP always.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Do you feel that the majority of the acceleration changes are from the transmission shifting harder or is it actually pulling harder in each gear?

I would be interested in seeing what difference a 2nd or 3rd gear roll on would do stock vs tuned, assuming you can do that on the autos..

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you feel that the majority of the acceleration changes are from the transmission shifting harder or is it actually pulling harder in each gear?

I would be interested in seeing what difference a 2nd or 3rd gear roll on would do stock vs tuned, assuming you can do that on the autos..
It feel like it's actually pulling harder. I've only tested out the race tune, I will test them all out this weekend. I have 93R, 93P, and 87S. The harder shifts I feel more just driving around town and on streets. When I floor it from a stop or slight roll (10 or less MPH) The shifts are hard, but once it hits 3k RPMs the thing launches. It is not slightly noticeable, it is throw-you-back-in-your-seat power. I haven't done any of the "dyno" stuff yet, but it feels like my dad's 2004 GTO did before it drowned (horrible yet funny story), and that was a v8, some quick googling shows it at 350 HP stock. My dad said it was just as fast if not faster than the GTO was, and he was very skeptical on a tune doing anything, but he was blown away by it. He is a car guy and has owned and played around with some fun things in his time, I think his old z28 was his favorite until some mechanic messed it up when he was trying to supe it up. Anyway, the thing pulls like the GTO did, and you can feel it's not just from the shifts. You would have to ask AM Alex on here if I received the old 93R or the "new" ones they are working on, but I asked them to give it some extra kick.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Not bad.

Now some track numbers would be great but at least you can test the car some way and get some numbers for repeatability.

Great write up also.

Also I usually run a friend of mine or my brother after each mod to see if they make difference.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not bad.

Now some track numbers would be great but at least you can test the car some way and get some numbers for repeatability.

Great write up also.

Also I usually run a friend of mine or my brother after each mod to see if they make difference.
Thank you! Track numbers will come probably 2 weeks from now, as I have to go to NJ for that. Long Island is not the place for 1/4 mile drag strips. It will be my first time on a drag strip actually, as I have only autocrossed a few times before (Very "interesting" with a RWD car). When I can make it down to the track I will do stock vs. tuned, and then vs. tuned + CAI. Not sure if there is a point in doing it stock with the CAI, as I really felt no difference at all with the CAI in stock compared to the stock airbox.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Hey all, as some of you know, I am starting a write-up on BAMA tunes, my experience with them, how they compare to MPT, and everything else outside and in between.
Alex from AM was kind enough to hook me up with a free trial tuner (Shout out to AM for all they do for us forum guys), and it arrived today. I made my car bone-stock for a few weeks leading up to this so I could really get a good comparison and feel for the tune. (I have 3.31 gears from the factory).
Customer service - Bama was nothing but polite when I spoke to them on the phone, quick and easy, polite, even helped me find my 4-digit computer code in my engine bay. Friendly, talkative, an overall positive experience. That was Monday in the late afternoon, and they started work on my tunes on Tuesday. Thursday afternoon it shipped.
Today, Friday, the tuner arrived (24 hours from them to me, being in NY has its advantages for once). I put in my Airaid Cold Air Intake, and drove that around for a bit. No noticeable gains or difference besides the "whoosh" noise, which really isn't that loud IMO. When I got back, my private parts delivery man (AKA UPS guy) had just dropped off a package from AM, the tuner ( SCT SF4/X4).
I plugged it into my car, selected 93R tune, and began the tuning process. Couldn't be easier, literally "plug-and-play". After it loaded, I waited a few seconds, turned the car on, and sat for a few minutes watch my RPMs. No idle surges. Stock my car would actually idle surge a bit, with the tune it did not once in 3 timed minutes I watched it for.
After letting the car run for a bit, I took it for a quick spin before work. It just FELT better driving around side streets, the shifts were much better, and that god awful kicking-from-behind shift at low speeds was gone thank God. I took it on a few 1/8 mile long straight-aways where I could gun it, and HOLY JESUS, I was blown away. This thing is not the same car. I even picked my dad up to show him, and he was blown away too. It is much, much quicker in a straight line, once you hit 3,000 RPMs you shoot like a rocket, I had to be careful as the tires were trying to break loose and I was on a public road at 3PM.... down the block from a school.... maybe not the best test area... LOL. Anywho, I did that a few times and my 0-60 times were much improved. Bone stock I clocked in at 0-60 in 5.9, 3 times. With the CAI only, I got 5.8, 6.0, and 6.1. With the tune + CAI, I got 5.3, 5.1, and 5.25. I used the g-tac and pocketdyno apps for Iphone to time myself, and it is as close to accurate as I can get on an iphone. I have an OBDII dongle in the mail from amazon to get some "dyno" HP/TQ numbers in next week.
I will be testing it out once I get out of work tonight, and go on a few highway cruises and do some more testing. I am hoping for some "dyno" numbers next week, and I will be taking a long road trip up to NH and will get some MPG numbers for you all. Any questions, comments, suggestions, you name it leave 'em here, I'm always on and have the app for my phone so I will respond ASAP always.
Great write up grabber!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great write up grabber!

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Thank you! I will be in contact with Bama to do some datalogging hopefully tomorrow or Monday to see if I can get any more out of the 93R.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hey!

Thanks for taking the time to post your review! I'm very happy to see and hear that you're enjoying the tune so much. Get out and drive and let us know how it's working out!

As always let me know if you have any questions and drop me a line so we can finalize the order and make sure everything's dialed in!

Enjoy!

Alex

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Thank you! I will be in contact with Bama to do some datalogging hopefully tomorrow or Monday to see if I can get any more out of the 93R.
Your giving me hope about Bama! I noticed you mentioned that you had no idle surging, did you notice any surging while your car was starting from a dead stop? That's where I'm having problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey!

Thanks for taking the time to post your review! I'm very happy to see and hear that you're enjoying the tune so much. Get out and drive and let us know how it's working out!

As always let me know if you have any questions and drop me a line so we can finalize the order and make sure everything's dialed in!

Enjoy!

Alex

Going to send you a PM I have one or two quick questions. Definitely going to see how the tune handles a long road trip next weekend and then take it to the track the following week, and also do some updates and tweaks on a few things with Bama and see how it holds up or any problems arise, if everything's good I will definitely be finalizing

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
773 Posts
GREAT WRITE UP

Can't wait for the next installment, especially the comparison with MPT :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your giving me hope about Bama! I noticed you mentioned that you had no idle surging, did you notice any surging while your car was starting from a dead stop? That's where I'm having problems. Thanks.

It was a good first experience with them, I'm looking forward to see how they handle tune revisions and how the tune holds up over a few weeks before finalizing my verdict, but a good first taste. I didn't experience any surging, but like I said it was just a quick 30 minute drive putting it through the paces and seeing what it could do. Tonight after I do 30 miles or so highway and more street driving I'll report back!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't wait for the next installment, especially the comparison with MPT :popcorn:

Once I get the Bama tunes how I want them I will be comparing them to MPT! The 93R feels like it has a little room for improvement , specifically low-end power, but I was pretty impressed and if MPT can put out noticeably more than the 93r from Bama I will be blown away

·
Registered
813 Posts
Grabber, what brand OBDII dongle did you get? Does it display, record, or both? What kind of parameters, and how fast is the refresh rate?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grabber, what brand OBDII dongle did you get? Does it display, record, or both? What kind of parameters, and how fast is the refresh rate?

I got the iSaddle super mini off of amazon. I'm not really sure how to answer those questions as I have never used one before. It was $10 with 4 and a half out of 5 stars so I went with it and was going to play with it and figure it out.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If you have a brand you recommend and that would work (preferably) with an iPhone that would be awesome. I don't have any experience with them. I was going to run it with the torque app.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you have a brand you recommend and that would work (preferably) with an iPhone that would be awesome. I don't have any experience with them. I was going to run it with the torque app.

I just got the mini ELM from OBD Innovations.

Apple iOS Compatible Diagnostic Tools

It is a wifi unit. Apparently it is hard and expensive to find one with bluetooth that the iPhone will communicate with. I am running Engine Link from the App Store.

Did you find Torque for the iPhone? I looked, but did not find it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got the mini ELM from OBD Innovations.

Apple iOS Compatible Diagnostic Tools

It is a wifi unit. Apparently it is hard and expensive to find one with bluetooth that the iPhone will communicate with. I am running Engine Link from the App Store.

Did you find Torque for the iPhone? I looked, but did not find it anywhere.

Maybe I will try one of those. I was going to use my dad's s4 for torque, and may be upgrading to the s5 from my iPhone next week.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had both! 93R tune and MPT tune! MPT is by far more aggressive and way better in my opinion. You will love MPT over bama rune tune.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

1 - 20 of 617 Posts