Mustang Evolution Forum banner

341 - 360 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
But to be able to DD the MPT it sounds like they don't care for the shifts too much. I haven't ever driven a modified auto trany ever so i have nothing to compare.
It's more so the early downshift. It works well for say a track or hill driving but not so much for city 25-40mph range.
As for the hard shifts when accelerating I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
GB93 what exactly did you ask for in your MPT tune. I just got my 91 Performance Race tune today and I do like the harder shifts. One thing I didn't like was when driving at city speeds it seemed to downshift way too early. Not sure if it is how their stock 91r tune is but it only helps with their downshifting on high speeds. The difference in actual performance might be just slightly over the 91r tune from Bama but then again I'm not sure if I actually received the "beta" tune when that's what I asked for. Can anyone else confirm or deny if their fresh MPT tune downshifts too early? Kona Blue since you seem to have lots of experience with MPT as well did the relearn phase smooth this out if it was a early problem?
MPT tune definitely has a good amount of engine braking when traveling at lower speeds. I personally love the way MPT has the transmission shift down when traveling say 40 mph, step on the brake to slow down for a red light. My car downshifts like a manual and yet mine is an automatic.

I personally love the engine braking and downshifts because when its time to accelerate from that slower speed, your in a lower gear and its blast off time. The engine braking does start a bit early but i personally love that.

Sent from my naked Johnson. The thrid real non Boss 227

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
MPT tune definitely has a good amount of engine braking when traveling at lower speeds. I personally love the way MPT has the transmission shift down when traveling say 40 mph, step on the brake to slow down for a red light. My car downshifts like a manual and yet mine is an automatic.

I personally love the engine braking and downshifts because when its time to accelerate from that slower speed, your in a lower gear and its blast off time. The engine braking does start a bit early but i personally love that.

+1 to everything you are saying
I love the instant take-off ability of my MPT tune. I LOVE the firm shifts that knock you back in your seat. It feels like you are driving a manual. I'm not the biggest fan of the downshift but I do not mind it so much. If I get sick of it I just switch to my Bama tune! Same performance basically just super smooth. When I want to be a race car driver I switch back to MPT, Best of both worlds. And I love that bama tunes for life let's me have an 87S in case I travel and there's no 93 around me!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

The way you described it sounds really fun. I do drive a manual so I get what you mean to be able to have your car at the ready and then just punch it and take off. To have an auto and do the same things sounds great. It's starting to really make sense to me now the difference between the two.

·
Registered
232 Posts
+1 to everything you are saying
I love the instant take-off ability of my MPT tune. I LOVE the firm shifts that knock you back in your seat. It feels like you are driving a manual. I'm not the biggest fan of the downshift but I do not mind it so much. If I get sick of it I just switch to my Bama tune! Same performance basically just super smooth. When I want to be a race car driver I switch back to MPT, Best of both worlds. And I love that bama tunes for life let's me have an 87S in case I travel and there's no 93 around me!
Would you entertain the thought of going to 91s since it probably would be less of an octane change? Not sure it would make much of a difference but I'm pretty sure 91 is offered most places.

And overall I just wasn't expecting that much engine breaking in the lower speeds. I like it but it just was weird because I was used to Bama's smooth downshifting. I think it will grow on me though since I've only driven maybe 30 minutes with it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Would you entertain the thought of going to 91s since it probably would be less of an octane change? Not sure it would make much of a difference but I'm pretty sure 91 is offered most places.

And overall I just wasn't expecting that much engine breaking in the lower speeds. I like it but it just was weird because I was used to Bama's smooth downshifting. I think it will grow on me though since I've only driven maybe 30 minutes with it.
I've gotten used to it already.
I don't see a point in going to 91, the 87 is on my tuner because it's cheaper, and what little performance gain I would get (I bet you won't even notice) wouldn't be worth it to me if I want performance I will just my 93 bama race / MPT. The 87 tune is my "fuel economy" tune basically.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've gotten used to it already.
I don't see a point in going to 91, the 87 is on my tuner because it's cheaper, and what little performance gain I would get (I bet you won't even notice) wouldn't be worth it to me if I want performance I will just my 93 bama race / MPT. The 87 tune is my "fuel economy" tune basically.
Hmm I understand I just wonder if switching between octanes with the tank does anything drastic. Not too sure just me thinking in text.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The price difference between 87 and 91 octane is typically between 15 and 20 cents per gallon on average. I never run the car to empty and my usual fill up is about 10 gallons. The most you're gonna pay at that rate for 91 octane compared to 81 octane is like $2.00 more for 10 gallons. This is an example, but I'm sure you get where I'm goning with this. The manufactures manual actually says something about the car performing better with higher octane. Considering how much I've spent on after market upgrades for my ride, a couple of bucks really is not a big deal. Hell, that $2.00 extra is cheaper than a cup of coffee. I've come this far with my ride and I'm not gonna cheap out now on a couple of bucks for gas. That's just my take on it, but go for what ya know :thumb:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The price difference between 87 and 91 octane is typically between 15 and 20 cents per gallon on average. I never run the car to empty and my usual fill up is about 10 gallons. The most you're gonna pay at that rate for 91 octane compared to 81 octane is like $2.00 more for 10 gallons. This is an example, but I'm sure you get where I'm goning with this. The manufactures manual actually says something about the car performing better with higher octane. Considering how much I've spent on after market upgrades for my ride, a couple of bucks really is not a big deal. Hell, that $2.00 extra is cheaper than a cup of coffee. I've come this far with my ride and I'm not gonna cheap out now on a couple of bucks for gas. That's just my take on it, but go for what ya know :thumb:
Agreed, I ran 91 across the board until I moved. It was a 20 cent difference, which isn't much given everything. Now I have 93 o can run for cheeper than what the 91 used to cost me!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Agreed, I ran 91 across the board until I moved. It was a 20 cent difference, which isn't much given everything. Now I have 93 o can run for cheeper than what the 91 used to cost me!
Yeah, once I wrapped my head around that it's been 91 octane all the way. I'd love to go 93 octane, but it's not offered here in California. Either way, it doesn't make sense to get hung up over a couple of bucks :cool:

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
The way you described it sounds really fun. I do drive a manual so I get what you mean to be able to have your car at the ready and then just punch it and take off. To have an auto and do the same things sounds great. It's starting to really make sense to me now the difference between the two.
I'll admit, it does sound funny and when the MPT rep on the phone said the same thing to me about their tune is made too feel like manual. I was like huh. Its one of those things you have to feel in someone's automatic with a MPT tune to completely understand. :)

Certainly, not taking any credit away from bama because that's great too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My tuner just shipped! Should be here Saturday or Monday. Pretty stoked to try out the 91 race tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Yeah, once I wrapped my head around that it's been 91 octane all the way. I'd love to go 93 octane, but it's not offered here in California. Either way, it doesn't make sense to get hung up over a couple of bucks :cool:
Oh ya, you can sometimes find a VP station that will have 100 octane. San Diego had a few of them spread around but it was $8 a gallon! Sucks they don't have 93 though.
They definitely have a few in Newport and close by to you in Orange County.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So are these revamped BAMA tunes available to the public now? Or are they still exclusive to the few who were given beta access?

I'm very interested in their new tunes to compare to my awesome MPT tune.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh ya, you can sometimes find a VP station that will have 100 octane. San Diego had a few of them spread around but it was $8 a gallon! Sucks they don't have 93 though.
They definitely have a few in Newport and close by to you in Orange County.
Wow, 93 octane in O.C.? That's right in my back yard! Gotta check that out and see if I can find some. Thanks for the tip :thumb:

·
Registered
126 Posts
So are these revamped BAMA tunes available to the public now? Or are they still exclusive to the few who were given beta access?

I'm very interested in their new tunes to compare to my awesome MPT tune.

When ordering my tuner, I asked Alex from AM the same question. He said the revamped tunes are being given out to everyone.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Wow, 93 octane in O.C.? That's right in my back yard! Gotta check that out and see if I can find some. Thanks for the tip :thumb:
Sorry I should clarify, I ment that VP stations were in OC, if they have 93 then great! but I know they carry 100 but it's a very step price. You could always blend 50/50 100 octane with 91 to get 93.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The point was not to be exact. It was just to give an idea. He could get a 93 tune and run a 50/50 blend and be ok.

·
Registered
126 Posts
UPS dropped off my tuner today! I'll post my thoughts once I get home from work and take her around the block.

341 - 360 of 617 Posts