Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tackled this today. Took maybe an hour total. Car was in driveway on jack stands.

New parts

Cardboard Footwear Material property Box Shoe

Tools

Model car Toy vehicle Collection Vehicle Toy

Removed console

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Gear shift

Removed old bracket

Light Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Auto part

Really Ford?!?! I mean really?!?!

Old shifter ready for removal

Auto part Machine Disc brake Vehicle brake Machine tool

Removed

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Machine Metal

Cup transferred to new shifter

Auto part Hardware accessory

New shifter installed

Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Brake Vehicle brake

New bracket installed

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Auto part Muffler

Auto part Machine tool Machine

Ready to instal console

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Muffler

PITA boot put back on

Auto part Gear Engine Transmission part Hardware accessory

Everything put back together and ready for a test drive

Vehicle Gear shift Car Family car Center console

Test drive was freakin awesome! I love it. Goes into second smooth as butter now. Love the feel it has going into all gears.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How was the install? Any problems getting that rubber sleeve around the shifter??

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How was the install? Any problems getting that rubber sleeve around the shifter??
Instal wasn't bad, a little tight but I have large hands too. The 2 post bracket has no rubber sleeve, it's all metal. I had to use a wrench to tighten the bolts on the bottom part but it wasn't bad. It would've been easier with the drive shaft out and if I didn't have a 3" cat-back, but wasn't bad. If by rubber sleeve you mean the shift boot, yeah it was a PITA. I wound up getting the inner part over the shifter base, then used a small pry bar to get the outer part around the metal hole.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When installing the shifter bracket, I've read you have to be "really careful" to not over tighten the nuts or you risk shearing off the bolts. How tight do they really need to be? My initial thought was that if I don't tighten them enough, they will get loose over time, but maybe they really don't need to be very tight? I'm probably over thinking this, but I really don't wanna shear those bolts off (I've read of a couple people who have accidentally done just that...)

·
Registered
358 Posts
When installing the shifter bracket, I've read you have to be "really careful" to not over tighten the nuts or you risk shearing off the bolts. How tight do they really need to be? My initial thought was that if I don't tighten them enough, they will get loose over time, but maybe they really don't need to be very tight? I'm probably over thinking this, but I really don't wanna shear those bolts off (I've read of a couple people who have accidentally done just that...)
I would use your best judgement. Also if you're worried about them coming out, just use some blu loctite and that'll hold them in securely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess my main concern was that these nuts/bolts holding on the bracket would be subject to large forces from the torque of the engine since the bracket is meant to hold the shifter in place and prevent movement.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The screws holding the bracket on the underside are supposed to be tightened carefully, switching from one side to the other as u tighten so the bolt won't snap. Also, it should come with blue locktite

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Is the bracket there to make shifts precise and is the shifter there to make the shifts shorter? I feel like just the bracket will do me just fine and save me $200+.
The bracket will take some of the play out of the shifter. It won't be nearly the same as replacing the shifter too but will be an improvement. The aftermarket shifter doesn't just make the shifts shorter. It makes them even more mechanical and precise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.