Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed these recently and just wanted to give you guys my opinion/driving impressions on them.

I had the SR short throw and Steeda Bracket on my '11 V6 and loved the combination. It cleaned up the shifts almost 100% and made the car much more fun to drive. However one thing I would have liked from it was a shorter reduction of throw. The throw with the SR short shifter felt almost the same distance as stock.

So with my '13 GT I decided not to take any shortcuts with the shifter. The throws are very short.. I haven't tried banging through the gears as quick as I can yet but Im pretty sure once I do, its gonna be Bliss.

The shifter however, is pretty noisey.. you can hear yourself shifting gear by gear- which is Okay with me.. Also, Reverse is pretty tough to get into. You have to muscle the thing down to get it into reverse.

Here is my short Video Review for those interested.

2011-2013 Mustang Barton Short Shifter + 2 Post Bracket Review - YouTube

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Installed these recently and just wanted to give you guys my opinion/driving impressions on them.

I had the SR short throw and Steeda Bracket on my '11 V6 and loved the combination. It cleaned up the shifts almost 100% and made the car much more fun to drive. However one thing I would have liked from it was a shorter reduction of throw. The throw with the SR short shifter felt almost the same distance as stock.

So with my '13 GT I decided not to take any shortcuts with the shifter. The throws are very short.. I haven't tried banging through the gears as quick as I can yet but Im pretty sure once I do, its gonna be Bliss.

The shifter however, is pretty noisey.. you can hear yourself shifting gear by gear- which is Okay with me.. Also, Reverse is pretty tough to get into. You have to muscle the thing down to get it into reverse.

Here is my short Video Review for those interested.

2011-2013 Mustang Barton Short Shifter + 2 Post Bracket Review - YouTube
I have the same setup as well and Im very happy so far, and yes reverse is much harder but I'm used to it by now. As far as the noise, I was dissapointed and was most annoyed with the fact that i could hear the starter as if it was right next to me, so I took my own measures of resolving that... I had a little dynamat left over, so I applied some around the base around where the boot is, and I also bought a small $5 amount of insulation from Home Depot and used a good amount in front of the shifter and behind it underneath all that open area and it made a world of difference...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the barton 2 post bracket and shifter as well and have to say its so much better than stock...make the car more fun lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the barton in my 2012 v6 and i love it i would recommend it to anyone lookinf for a short shifter.
Yes, I'll be recommending this shifter as well.
I have just the 2post bracket and it made a HUGE difference. I love how mechanical it feels instead of mushy
I drove with just the 2 post bracket installed for about 2 weeks and I agree.. it was a HUGE improvement over the stock POS bushing.
I have the same setup as well and Im very happy so far, and yes reverse is much harder but I'm used to it by now. As far as the noise, I was dissapointed and was most annoyed with the fact that i could hear the starter as if it was right next to me, so I took my own measures of resolving that... I had a little dynamat left over, so I applied some around the base around where the boot is, and I also bought a small $5 amount of insulation from Home Depot and used a good amount in front of the shifter and behind it underneath all that open area and it made a world of difference...
I may try that.. but as of right now the increased sound doesnt bother me too much. The reverse spring has loosened up a little from the day I installed it, which is good.
I have the barton 2 post bracket and shifter as well and have to say its so much better than stock...make the car more fun lol
Yeah I cant imagine ever going back to the stock shifter/bushing!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have the Barton and two post... I love it. It is more mechanical and feels more like it should... Deliberate. If it is loud turn on the tunes, and you don't have to turn it up to not even notice it. In addition, my wife used to scream at me when messing around (driving)... Now she can handle it (my driving that is)... And likes the new shifter as she knows what to expect. When you shift up or down with this shifter you know it's changing. So it is driver and passenger friendly! I also like the more difficult lock out. A little added insurance I know what gear I'm in.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I also have the Barton and two post... I love it. It is more mechanical and feels more like it should... Deliberate. If it is loud turn on the tunes, and you don't have to turn it up to not even notice it. In addition, my wife used to scream at me when messing around (driving)... Now she can handle it (my driving that is)... And likes the new shifter as she knows what to expect. When you shift up or down with this shifter you know it's changing. So it is driver and passenger friendly! I also like the more difficult lock out. A little added insurance I know what gear I'm in.
someone else, albiet he had an MGW, did what I thought about doing an it apparently worked, is to pull the center console open and add more insulation. When I last had mine open it looked like their was plenty of room to compact more insulation in there to deaden the sound if needed.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
someone else, albiet he had an MGW, did what I thought about doing an it apparently worked, is to pull the center console open and add more insulation. When I last had mine open it looked like their was plenty of room to compact more insulation in there to deaden the sound if needed.
There's a lot of open space in there, insulation helps a lot... Plus it keeps heat out, I noticed a lot more heat and sound coming from the shifter area, now it feels about as normal as stock

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
There's a lot of open space in there, insulation helps a lot... Plus it keeps heat out, I noticed a lot more heat and sound coming from the shifter area, now it feels about as normal as stock
It was you wasn't it :D

I remember random things but not always who says them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts