Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys well my birthday Is coming up and I think my first upgrade is going to be a barton short throw shifter. The only thing I'm worrying about is will ford put it on for me and will it void my warrenty?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hey guys well my birthday Is coming up and I think my first upgrade is going to be a barton short throw shifter. The only thing I'm worrying about is will ford put it on for me and will it void my warrenty?
Ford will find any minimal reason to void warranty, just make sure u a fair amount of miles and know your trans is solid before make the leap

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ford will find any minimal reason to void warranty, just make sure u a fair amount of miles and know your trans is solid before make the leap
True thanks for the info. Also do you think they will install that for me. I don't have access to the lift

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
True thanks for the info. Also do you think they will install that for me. I don't have access to the lift
Doubt Ford themselves will do it unless its a Ford Racing part, which I'm sure Barton is the same but they will never admit it... But I'm sure u can find a local speed shop that can do it for u. I would also highly recommend getting the bracket to add to the shifter, since the factory bracket is the biggest problem with our trannies... I went with the 2 post bracket and the shifts feel pretty solid now

·
Registered
753 Posts
For it to void your warranty, Ford had to be able to prove whatever you installed caused the problem. I would recommend finding a speed shop to do it and just nit say anything to ford. PLUS, it is a HUGE improvement over stock and will help prevent you locking out you gears at high RPM.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
All that has to come apart anyway, u might as well get the shifter... I think it's only gonna make the car easier and more satisfying to drive

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about your warranty with a shifter install ... but you're always rolling the dice if your dealer sucks. The sifter / bracket combo is the way to do ... and you don't need a lift, I did it on ramps in my garage. Was not too hard at all.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yea I also did it on ramps in the rear, I also jacked up one side towards the front, just enough for me to slide under

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Energy Suspension makes the shifter bushing for $13 that claims to solve the shifting issues. 5.0 Mustang & fast fords has an article on it this month. I like the way the stock shifter feels, I don't want a shorter throw than what I have now. It just wouldn't feel natural, if I did I'd just get an auto with a paddle shifter.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All that has to come apart anyway, u might as well get the shifter... I think it's only gonna make the car easier and more satisfying to drive
I think that's what I'm goin to do only thing is the bracket is 75$ and the whole shifter is 350

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think that's what I'm goin to do only thing is the bracket is 75$ and the whole shifter is 350
Well the thing is that the bracket is the biggest problem with the MT82, the factory throws are actually not bad at all... Adding the short shifter only, u will still get more missed shifts under spirited driving

·
The Blue Dragon
5,488 Posts
Spend the $110 and get the Barton 2 post, the main difference between my stock shifter with the Barton two post and my MGW is that the MGW has shorter throws and wayyyy less nvh. But the Barton two post turns a seemingly garbage shifter into an amazing piece of equipment

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spend the $110 and get the Barton 2 post, the main difference between my stock shifter with the Barton two post and my MGW is that the MGW has shorter throws and wayyyy less nvh. But the Barton two post turns a seemingly garbage shifter into an amazing piece of equipment
How good is the 2 post vs the reg barton bracket

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just installed the Barton short shifter and 2 post bracket on ramps and jack stands. I love it!!! I was worried at first because it seems to have moved first and second more towards the center and I thought I messed up but I guess this is normal??

To explain this more I can't hold left all the way to get either first or second which has made me miss second a couple of times at high rpm shifts.

As far as NVH. I honestly can't even tell anything has changed until I actually change gears, then I do get a mechanical sound but I enjoy it and do t believe it adds anything unwanted. Whatever you choice enjoy!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just installed the Barton short shifter and 2 post bracket on ramps and jack stands. I love it!!! I was worried at first because it seems to have moved first and second more towards the center and I thought I messed up but I guess this is normal??

To explain this more I can't hold left all the way to get either first or second which has made me miss second a couple of times at high rpm shifts.

As far as NVH. I honestly can't even tell anything has changed until I actually change gears, then I do get a mechanical sound but I enjoy it and do t believe it adds anything unwanted. Whatever you choice enjoy!
What is NVH? Sorry I'm a noob a

·
The Blue Dragon
5,488 Posts
Yea as far as nvh it's only on start up (sounds like the starter is in the passenger seat) and upon shifting, but the MGW has very little of either of those, mostly thanks to the dynamat

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea as far as nvh it's only on start up (sounds like the starter is in the passenger seat) and upon shifting, but the MGW has very little of either of those, mostly thanks to the dynamat
I can deal with that. I was actually thinking about the MGW shifter but I heard it takes a wile to ship and its a more expensive.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I can deal with that. I was actually thinking about the MGW shifter but I heard it takes a wile to ship and its a more expensive.
The mgw is worth the wait & extra few $s.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts