Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question before but, I am ready to dip into it now. My car (1965 mustang) is always low on "juice". If I don't start it with the first try, then it dies. It can sometimes die at lights too. I have replaced the battery and the alternator but, I'm still constantly charging it. What is my next step? Can it be a bad wire? Maybe the radio? Let me give an example, I charged it and then went to the grocery. When I came out I didn't get it to turn over on the first try and by the second time it was weak and getting weaker. After 15 minutes of being in the store and 40 minutes of driving it was that drained.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have asked this question before but, I am ready to dip into it now. My car (1965 mustang) is always low on "juice". If I don't start it with the first try, then it dies. It can sometimes die at lights too. I have replaced the battery and the alternator but, I'm still constantly charging it. What is my next step? Can it be a bad wire? Maybe the radio? Let me give an example, I charged it and then went to the grocery. When I came out I didn't get it to turn over on the first try and by the second time it was weak and getting weaker. After 15 minutes of being in the store and 40 minutes of driving it was that drained.
Have you put a voltage meter on it? When the car is running it should read around 14.5 volts. Or you can start it then disconnect the neg. battery terminal, if it keeps running, then your alt is good or if you're getting over 14 volts on the meter.
When you disconnect the neg terminal and then slowly put it back to the battery, do you get a small spark? You could have a short to ground somewhere and it's draining the battery. But that seems to be draining pretty quick. It sounds more like the alt to me. The battery could have a bad cell even though it's fairly new. You can also take it to auto parts store and they will test it with a load, just getting 12 volts with a meter doesn't tell you that a cell is bad.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Are you sure the starter is good,,Do you have a external voltage regulator,,if so that could be bad,,it basically controls the alternator voltage..

·
Registered
509 Posts
Voltage regulator is a very possible cause. Even new electronic versions of the external regulator don't seem to last long. Fortunately they are inexpensive and easy to replace. If the interior lights flicker or pulse at idle, even the headlights, it could be the regulator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts