Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My batter light is on after I replaced battery and alternator. I went to Auto Zone and they said battery had too much charge and alternator was good. I just drained battery and then jumped it off and light still on. Any suggested problems? I appreciate any assistance!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Where did you get the alt from?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Id say the alt is overcharging....have another autoparts test your charging system.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
.....and do you know what amperage that alt is putting out compared to what your car needs?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
.....and do you know what amperage that alt is putting out compared to what your car needs?
Does that matter??? You can buy and aftermarket 200 amp and not have a battery light come on

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Does that matter??? You can buy and aftermarket 200 amp and not have a battery light come on
It does depend. The light will come on if overcharged or undercharged. Depends on that specific vehicles tolerance.

I would put random parts in my 95 subaru with 160k which leaks oil but I would never junkyard any part for my Mustang.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I think he might of put a bad alt on there, I had a 93 Lincoln mark VIII, and I ordered a 96 cobra alt for it cause it had more amps then the factory Lincoln's, everything worked great just had to extend the wire harness to it a bit.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I think he might of put a bad alt on there, I had a 93 Lincoln mark VIII, and I ordered a 96 cobra alt for it cause it had more amps then the factory Lincoln's, everything worked great just had to extend the wire harness to it a bit.
Well one story is not the tell all tale but yes, bad alternator is a likely possibility.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'd say bad alternator also. Go to a different store and have them test it. I always thought auto zones test was wrong, multiple times they've said I needed a new alt and all I needed to do was clean off my ground cable and everything worked fine. The best way to have them test it is to take it off and have them test it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It does depend. The light will come on if overcharged or undercharged. Depends on that specific vehicles tolerance.

I would put random parts in my 95 subaru with 160k which leaks oil but I would never junkyard any part for my Mustang.

I'm with you on that one dude. I didnt even put junk parts on my Sentra Spec-V.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts