Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my alternator may be crapping out? Or could it have something to so with my gauge cluster. Because my temp gauge, oil pressure gauge don't work, and sometimes my speedo doesn't work. I have a feeling that my gauge cluster might be getting pretty done too. Not sure though, just an opinion. But I have had problems before with my alternator, it used to squeak really bad.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Could be your gauge cluster if all the other gauges are crapping out, but I still think it's your alternator. An easy way to test it is to start it up and unhook your battery. If the alternator is going out it will either shut off or run like crap. If it runs fine then it could be something else.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was having the same problem And when I would take off from stop lights and stuff the battery light would flicker then go away. Came out to be bad serpentine belt was all cracked and wasn't catching when I was accerlating. Once I got it fixed no more problem.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Make a list of all possible things that could be causing your problem, then check all those things. If nothing works, start replacing them. From cheapest go most expensive. Or have a technician check it out. I only get a tech when I'm 100% positive I can't fix the problem myself

·
Registered
916 Posts
Make a list of all possible things that could be causing your problem, then check all those things. If nothing works, start replacing them. From cheapest go most expensive. Or have a technician check it out. I only get a tech when I'm 100% positive I can't fix the problem myself
+1

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was having the same problem And when I would take off from stop lights and stuff the battery light would flicker then go away. Came out to be bad serpentine belt was all cracked and wasn't catching when I was accerlating. Once I got it fixed no more problem.
Wouldn't I notice though if I needed a new belt.

·
Registered
916 Posts
if you look the belt over real well you should. but you may not notice just watching it run or with just a quick glance. the best way to really really get a good look is just take it off and go around it looking at the grooves and everything

·
Registered
404 Posts
if you look the belt over real well you should. but you may not notice just watching it run or with just a quick glance. the best way to really really get a good look is just take it off and go around it looking at the grooves and everything
+1 with jus a quick glance it'll look fine, because mine wasn't noticeably bad, but bad enough that the belt was slipping and causing the light to flicker

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do your dash or head lights dim when you hit the brake, have your turn signals on, or have the stereo real loud?

You might have a cell in your battery about to go, or your voltage regulator is starting to fail. I've been working with the same thing with some differences lately.

·
Registered
916 Posts
if you have a Multimeter, start the car, and touch the leads to the positive and negative sides of the battery, if you have only 12 volts then the alternator is not working correctly, anything more than 12 and it is working, but optimal is 14+ volts. (alternately you can just unhook the positive battery cable, if your car keeps running and doesn't die then it is nott your alternator.)

Your batter only starts the car. once the car is started the alternator runs everything and also recharges the battery. Which is why it should read 14v, the extra 2 is what charges the battery.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

if you don't have a voltmeter/multimeter then do what project pony said and have the friggin system checked at autozone...

if you figure out its not the alternator using the multimeter then you have to start looking at other things.

When you crank it, does it take a bit to crank or does it start right up?
If so then my opinion is it probably isn't your battery and you should check out your gauge cluster

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if you have a Multimeter, start the car, and touch the leads to the positive and negative sides of the battery, if you have only 12 volts then the alternator is not working correctly, anything more than 12 and it is working, but optimal is 14+ volts. (alternately you can just unhook the positive battery cable, if your car keeps running and doesn't die then it is nott your alternator.)

Your batter only starts the car. once the car is started the alternator runs everything and also recharges the battery. Which is why it should read 14v, the extra 2 is what charges the battery.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

if you don't have a voltmeter/multimeter then do what project pony said and have the friggin system checked at autozone...

if you figure out its not the alternator using the multimeter then you have to start looking at other things.

When you crank it, does it take a bit to crank or does it start right up?
If so then my opinion is it probably isn't your battery and you should check out your gauge cluster
I don't have a multimeter but I will do the positive and negative. But it shouldn't be my battery it's brand new, only about 3 weeks old.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts