Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery is strong, car reports a voltage between 13.4-14.4. I have only corrosion on negative side that has built up and tried cleaning but still forms and have used grease on it to stop the corrosion to no avail. Well, instead of replacing the over priced wiring harness, can I just simply uncrimp the negative end terminal and use this chrome plated terminal?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Battery is strong, car reports a voltage between 13.4-14.4. I have only corrosion on negative side that has built up and tried cleaning but still forms and have used grease on it to stop the corrosion to no avail. Well, instead of replacing the over priced wiring harness, can I just simply uncrimp the negative end terminal and use this chrome plated terminal?
Sure, but keep in mind that the corrosion will probably return.
Generally the reason for the corrosion is that hydrogen gas is being released from the acid in the battery. May be leaking around the terminals for example.
Clean terminals thoroughly with baking soda and water and coat with petroleum jelly. see this article.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-clean-battery-terminal-connections-on-a-car

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I haven't seen your battery cables, but I can guess that NO, you cannot uncrimp the ends. You would have to cut the ends back until you got to nice shiny, perfect, copper, and then put new ends on. In all likely hood, your cables would then be too short.

If you had to go that route, you should instead buy the proper, brand new cables.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see why I can't uncrimp the negative end. If I have slack I'll just cut them. As for stopping corrosion, I think I can use spray paint or just get the the red ones already painted. I just want to stop the corrosion.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just had the same issue yesterday. When I took the Neg. Cable off to clean it I found a Small Crack in the battery next to the Neg. Post. My Gauges said I was putting out 14.4 also.
The Battery is the problem...not the wiring. Buy a New battery & your problem will be solved.
Your battery is leaking corrosive gases somewhere. The corrosion is a sign your battery is going bad.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just had the same issue yesterday. When I took the Neg. Cable off to clean it I found a Small Crack in the battery next to the Neg. Post. My Gauges said I was putting out 14.4 also.
The Battery is the problem...not the wiring. Buy a New battery & your problem will be solved.
Your battery is leaking corrosive gases somewhere. The corrosion is a sign your battery is going bad.
That's what I'd do.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
old timer...a layer of di-electrical grease will prevent corrosion (except if you need a battery) if you need to you could replace terminals if needed after replacing battery...if it was mine and I had to I would even cut and splice if it was too short which is likely.

good luck and good call/find on the battery

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Smear the dielectric grease all around the base of the terminals. Give it a try. If corrosion returns too quick for your liking, replace the battery.
BTW, the ends of the copper cable can be cleaned and wire brushed (power wire brush preferably, like a small wire wheel on your electric drill.) They'll look like new.:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Before my oem battery died on me i also had some corrosion on one side of the terminal of the battery. You should check for any leak from the battery, mine showed a thin crack on the edge of the terminal.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Leaking battery for sure and you really don't want the acid inside the battery getting out onto nearby paint. Replacing the battery is a short and long-term solution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I thought anywhere between 13.4 - 14.4 is normal?

Leaking battery for sure and you really don't want the acid inside the battery getting out onto nearby paint. Replacing the battery is a short and long-term solution.
Exactly. I try to clean up all the acid dust that gets everywhere. I wouldn't recommend snorting it though. In fact, I regularly clean the inside of engine bay. Dust/dirt, overtime, just get's into everything. It's also a lot easier to spot any leaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts