Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a set of the BBK Ceramic Shorties from autoanything with a nice 22% discount :bow:!

Now the question is whether I should attempt the install myself or let a mechanic do it for $250..what do you guys think!

Hoping to see a little difference in sound and power!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Just ordered a set of the BBK Ceramic Shorties from autoanything with a nice 22% discount :bow:!

Now the question is whether I should attempt the install myself or let a mechanic do it for $250..what do you guys think!

Here's my thoughts...
If you've done any minor mech work on cars in the past and have the appropriate tools, I say go for it. After it's all said and done, you'll be glad you did.

On the other hand, I think the $250 is a reasonable price to pay and you won't get you hands dirty and scraped up.

A lot of help I am!:lol:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

Glad the code finally worked. But on a serious note install them yourself. I did it with a set of ramps and a few hand tools. I took my time and finished it in around 4 hours. The part that took the longest was unbolting the midpipe to manifold bolts. Trust me if you have the time an a good location go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Universal joint things for socket wrenches and ratcheting wrenches will make the job much easier

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
157 Posts
Glad the code finally worked. But on a serious note install them yourself. I did it with a set of ramps and a few hand tools. I took my time and finished it in around 4 hours. The part that took the longest was unbolting the midpipe to manifold bolts. Trust me if you have the time an a good location go for it.

Patience is key. Allow yourself plenty of time to take it slow and take some breaks. Don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck! These guys were a big help for me when I installed my headers :thumb:

There are a few threads floating around with (many) more tips and advice. Only suggestion I have it to be careful and/or wear gloves when handling the OEM gaskets as they have give your hands a nasty cut!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No tax, free shipping, 311.99 total.. Good enough for me! I was getting tired of waiting

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For all of you that did the install, what kind of tools did you end up using and were the bbk provided instructions adequate?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I posted an detailed instruction list in the DIY section. I can email it to you if you want it

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's $250 toward your next mod or a good weekend. I say do it yourself. Even if you don't have the proper tools, it won't even cost you $50 to get them.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Is there a code floating around that I don't know about. I wanna make AM match autoanything. After AM hooked me up, I would regret shopping elsewhere

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Is there a code floating around that I don't know about. I wanna make AM match autoanything. After AM hooked me up, I would regret shopping elsewhere

Pm sent

·
Registered
727 Posts
Code expires today, by the time AM is in the office tomorrow it won't work if they try to verify. Otherwise I'd strongly consider trying the same thing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For all of you that did the install, what kind of tools did you end up using and were the bbk provided instructions adequate?
Just FYI, I bought this on a whim (on sale for $10 at Harbor Freight that week) when purchasing a set of flex head ratcheting wrenches, and I must say, it was $10 well spent. I probably used this tool for 75% of the install, if not more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Here's the thing - almost anyone can do it. But breaking head studs and creating exhaust leaks is not fun to deal with.

$250 is completely reasonable for a skilled mechanic whose done the install or similar before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just finished my installation of the BBK shortie headers on my '14.

Bought a 13 mm ratcheting wrench with flexible head from Home Depot, couldn't imagine doing the job without it.

Was able to tighten all bolts from the top, only time I had to get underneath the car was to loosen the X-pipe bolts from the exhaust manifold (new impact gun came in handy here). Total time was around 4 hours not including a few breaks. Did remove the battery & tray for a little more clearance on the passenger side.

No leaks or issues after install.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts