Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I somehow managed to crack a wire SOMEWHERE in the harness (main harness) in the car putting a radio in.

Had to replace ALL of the wiring dash, etc.
the entire harness.

Mind you I live in an area where I have no driveway, etc. think nyc.
$1600 from an excellent DVT dealer, top rated.

so that $200 head unit might cost you a lot more if you flex that cheap wiring too much.

Oh yeah, the car is a 2000.
$400 for the harness
$1200 for labor. Took them about a month to get it all done/ verify ECC, reflash ECC.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just how many hours of labor is that???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were real nice to me, they cut me a deal. They had the car two weeks. took out the dash, airbags, fuse box, steering column everything. had to rewire the whole car. More than I can do on a street corner.

·
Registered
250 Posts
they did not do you a favor. Pull of the dash and you have sufficient access. My father and I had to do this to rewire somethings with higher gauge wire last year. It was only a days work. Don't mean to drag you down or anything, but that price is outrageous, did you check any other places?

·
Registered
567 Posts
why would you need to replace the entire harness? Or is it just because you didnt know where the split wire was?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wiring

As I said, I live in a NYC type environment, no place to work, and it's on a hill.

The short was real deep, and melted some wires. I checked everything I could with ease.The harness has a short in the area between inside the car and the engine. It required the removal of the shifter, bezel, center console, the door panels, the steering column, the dash, both airbags and the instruments, removal of the carpet and then testing.

I don't think I took it in the $#% as you put it, and I don't think you'd have the skill to do the work either. I'd probably have a really messed up spliced harness, a non working car, and my dash out.

Let me put it to you this way, how much would you want to remove the interior of the car and rewire it? The part was already $400.Besides, I have a guarantee. I thought about a local place, but around here, they know they have you and they can charge you whatever they want. Plus no guarantee. You guys try changing out a harness, removing the dash in Manhattan. It's like trying to change your brakes in times square.

Main reason I got it done there was if they mess it up they HAVE to fix it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know what you mean. And we're not going after you or anything like that. You're right about the piece of mind thing. Next time though, hit us up here before you spend cash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts