Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know. Always questions about CAI, but this one is "slightly" different.

I've got an EBAY-type CAI installed, and have been running it for about 2 months. It installed great. I am "certain" I have no leaks, and the only mod I had to do to it was plug the extra hole (it was supposed to be for something like 96-04, but they still had the temp. sensor hole which is not needed for my 02).

Problem is gas mileage. I always thought it should improve slightly, but I'm seeing it going from about 20 around town to 17.5-18. Now maybe I'm more aggressive with it(?). The sucking noise is also a LOT louder than I expected. Sounds like I have my ear right next to a 4-bbl Carb without an air filter.

Anyone else have similar experiences? At this rate, I'm tempted to put the old system back on and just use one of the new high-volume filters.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I knew they were somewhat noisey, but it sounds like mine is probably normal. My acceleration didn't seem worse after the install. The car has always felt a little like it had a dirt-bike style powerband. I put a spacer to take the slack out of the throttle cable, and that make it "feel" better, but the low-end has always been a little sluggish.

Upside - my son loves the sound of the CAI. Downside - sooner of later my wife will figure out I'm playing with it. (the car).

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 90 deg. bend out of the fender well, and about a 45 deg. after the MAF before the TB. One thing I did do is leave the screen in, instead of removing it. I did this just because I was nervous if the filter broke apart, although it's not one of those cheapo cardboard ones. Maybe the screen is causing too much restriction in flow? I wouldn't think so, since the original assembly should have been more restrictive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.