Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a school or a course or anything to learn to tune ecu's? This type of work really interests me, but im not sure where to start.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go to sct web site and they have a school that they put on. I know a couple people that have gone to it and from what i hear its pretty informative.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the school located?

·
Registered
457 Posts
You can go to school for it, but I think most people would advise against it.

The market is shifting towards electric cars and the current market for all things aftermarket in the car industry, not just tunes, is dissolving slowly (especially aftermarket car audio).

Even if full electric cars become mainstream at a slower rate than expected, there is another huge push for cars that drive themselves. This would make the market for performance parts and tunes even smaller, as who will care how fast a car is that you can't even drive?

This isn't a market I would feel good about jumping into right now, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im thinking of doing it as a hobby and maybe making some money out of it the only guy that tubes mustang around here charges about 300-400

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well then you should be fine. Probably a lot of schooling for a hobby though.

I suppose I started 2 majors before I decided on mechanical engineering though so I can't really say much lol. Go to school while you can, especially if it's paid for :p

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Be prepared to spend $100's maybe even $1,000's on tuning software (what I've been told).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have nothing better to spend it on lol I wounder if I can do it online? Im working over 40 hts a week and I just retired from one profession lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of equipment will I need?

·
Registered
53 Posts

The market is shifting towards electric cars and the current market for all things aftermarket in the car industry, not just tunes, is dissolving slowly (especially aftermarket car audio).

Even if full electric cars become mainstream at a slower rate than expected, there is another huge push for cars that drive themselves. This would make the market for performance parts and tunes even smaller, as who will care how fast a car is that you can't even drive?

This isn't a market I would feel good about jumping into right now, but that's just me.

I am not trying to be a jerk but where are you getting your info? There is always going to be a market for tuners especially with the aftermarket world. Even more so sence fuel injection is becoming the way of street and track performance, due to tuning ability. Even so with just simple bolt ons ie; cold air intake, intake manifold, long tube headers, so on and so forth. You should do some research typically i am not going to buy a mustang for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

What are you talking about? Electric cars are not becoming mainstream.
People tuning their on cars has been skyrocketing in the last few years.
Cars driving themselves is not going to take over the market anytime soon.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What type of problem do run into by learning to tune on my own car to learn?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im playing with the idea not sure if I want to invest the $

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am not trying to be a jerk but where are you getting your info? There is always going to be a market for tuners especially with the aftermarket world. Even more so sence fuel injection is becoming the way of street and track performance, due to tuning ability. Even so with just simple bolt ons ie; cold air intake, intake manifold, long tube headers, so on and so forth. You should do some research typically i am not going to buy a mustang for fuel economy.

My comment had nothing to do with fuel economy.. Read it, in it's entirety, again lol
What are you talking about? Electric cars are not becoming mainstream.
People tuning their on cars has been skyrocketing in the last few years.
Cars driving themselves is not going to take over the market anytime soon.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

Actually, electric cars are quickly becoming mainstream. Maybe not the case in America, but in other nations - you bet ya. The shift will eventually happen here, especially if the government keeps pushing that direction. In his working life we will shift to electric. He would be out a job at some point.

Can you provide facts on your claim that a market for aftermarket tunes has "skyrocketed" these last few years?

Actually, it very well might. Maybe not in the next 10 years, but you go to college for a career, right? In 20 years we won't be driving our cars anymore. Simple as that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2718789/Leading-car-experts-predict-cars-driving-FOUR-years.html

http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21618531-making-autonomous-vehicles-reality-coming-street-near-you

I know it's a hard pill to swallow for the car enthusiast, but newer tech is coming.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Electric vehicles. besides fuel economy what is another reason to buy a hybrid or electric vehicle.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts