Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in California so my tune is set up for 91 octane. There's a local gas station that sells 101 octane at the pump. Is there a benefit in running 101? Would that require an entirely separate tune? I'm assuming it does.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I would ask your tuner, but it would be my guess that a 91 octane tune may be preset to advance the timing only as far as 91 octane would allow.
If there IS any ceiling in your tune that allows for additional timing when allowed, your tuner would have to be the one to tell you that, I think.

·
Registered
774 Posts
not beneficial at all, will actually cost you power, higher octane fuel burns at a slower rate, which is only useful when running more timing, boost, or nitrous

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I figured. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
When I was trying to have AED tune my 14 I did some data logging and although at partial throttle...from 2000rpm to 5000rpm with a slow and steady pedal...I was getting no knock. At WOT from 3000 to redline I was getting knock. I was running 91 octane with the can'd 91 tune....switched to Costco 92 octane and after a one tank no more knock. Before I used the the Costco 92 I used 5 gallons VP unleaded and the data log also showed no more knock....the VP wasn't cheap!
Have you data logged your current tune and is there any knock...if there isn't I could no used in using the 101 unless you reset your tune for the higher octane..like everyone else mentioned.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike roush data logged my car. I would think he tuned it to remove any knock if he detected anything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts