Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in one of these things, but can someone explain what Im going to get out of it? From what i understand... its lighter therefor making it easier for the engine to turn, and therefor not losing as much HP through my drivetrain. Am I correct here or what? What kind of extra power am I looking at? Any help would be great. Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
It is lighter than the stock steel drive shaft up freeing up torque required to get everything spinning allowing the eng to turn quicker

·
Registered
941 Posts
yup what he said. very little gain, but you'll get the most out of your setup. maybe 2-3% less drivetrain loss? (compared to 15-20%, maybe 12-17%)

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it anything close to going from the % drivetrain loss of an auto opposed to a manual? or is it still going to be shitty? Basically, is it worth the 160 bucks?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
its worth the $160 if you are already doing drivetrain work. since you already have 4.10s, dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
nah, its one of those that is good when you are heavily modded and cant think of any other mods to do. it get you like 3rwhp max lightly modded and maybe 5rwhp heavily modded.

slightly quicker revs, but w/ 4.10s you wouldnt notice it.
less vibration in the drivetrain. you'd notice that, but i think youve gotten used to how your car is naturally by now
one thing i did like about it though was that under normal cruising, if i was speeding lets say 50 in a 40, i could let off the gas and because light weight doesnt hold inertia as well, my speed would drop quicker. (great when going over that hill and dont know if there is a cop on the other side ;))

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha, alright thanks for your input man :)

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
its not worth but like 3hp and 2tq. its worth it for the fact that it smoothes it out and every little bit does help....

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did it on mine and I really liked it. It smoothes out everything, it revs smoother under power and, at least with mine, it won't start to dog out until a few hundred RPMs lower. Like if you let the clutch out a little too quick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ZimStang said:
Im interested in one of these things, but can someone explain what Im going to get out of it? From what i understand... its lighter therefor making it easier for the engine to turn, and therefor not losing as much HP through my drivetrain. Am I correct here or what? What kind of extra power am I looking at? Any help would be great. Thanks
Mike
Before I converted my 99 AODE to a Competition T-5, I used an aluminum driveshaft along with the 3.73 rear end (I converted the DS Yoke back to stock when converting the AODE).

Didn't notice a performance difference, but I DID notice a lower noise level coming fromt he drivetrain.

Picked up the DS on eBay for $50.00. Good investment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anybody got any comments on carbon fiber shafts? I think I know what I'm gonna' get... :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Carbon fiber DRIVE shafts, that is. 8)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
if you can afford it, dont waste your money. alum is light enough, and like 1/5th the price. you will only see a one or two more hp at the wheels. totally not worth it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is the V8 driveshaft the same as the V6? I haven't seen one specifically listed for the V6 anywhere I've thought to look for it. :|

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tin Kicker said:
Is the V8 driveshaft the same as the V6? I haven't seen one specifically listed for the V6 anywhere I've thought to look for it. :|
The V-8 84-95 aluminum driveshaft is interchangeable with the 99+ V-6's. The only thing you have to do is take the yoke off your 99+ V-6 and put it on the aluminum one. That's all to it.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you dont need to replace the yoke unless you have an auto, mine bolted directly up to the tranny.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts