Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to restore a 1964-1967 Ford Mustang (possibly a Fastback) and I want to know which engine is the best for it. I want high mpg because I will probably ride it almost everyday. And I still want good horsepower.

·
Registered
39 Posts
it's going to cost you, because newer in this case is better.

A stock 65 six stick would be lucky to get 26 mpg and not much power. the 289 about 19 mpg

A 87 GT 5.0 5 speed would get 27 mpg and have lots of power,

conclusion: put the 87 set up in a lighter 65 body and viola, 30 mpg! added plus, unreal acceleration!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 302 Hi-PO in my 1966 and it did pretty good on gas. I drove from San Antonio TX to Ft Pok La on 1 1/2 tanks of gas. For a 60's model engine that is dam good. But what ever motor you put in it make sure you go with a electronic ignition system it will run you about $230-$250.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 302 w/ a small 4-bbl will work great. Make sure you
free up exhaust and use later ignition, Ford or aftermarket.
The small vacuum 4-bbl (500 cfm) will yield good gas
mileage and good street manners. A 390 cfm will work
also, and Holley makes excellent ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
... obviously, you can't have both. If you want good gas milage, go with a straight six or a smallblock V-8... 289cid is a good choice. If you want to keep it original, try to go with the factory engine. (boy, wouldn't a 428CJ be sweet!) The 360/390s are still plentiful and have lotsa muscle if you cam 'em up with a matching street-strip intake, headers, good ignition system and just a touch of nitrous but, hey; it's your money...

·
Registered
31 Posts
289 hypo with a 2 barrel carborator or same engine with 4 barrel carb with a tall rear end gear depending on if you want bot.or top end speed.If you want to stay factory small block if not go with a 95 5.0 w/carb T-5 trans.373 rearend GT 40 HEADS TRICK FLOW INTAKE also TRICK FLOW twisted wedge heads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts