Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's that time of year again. Need to change the oil and filter before putting the pony in the barn for the winter. I have done a good amount of research and determined Royal Purple is probably the best or one of the best "performance" oils to use. I used to use Mobil 1, Royal Purple is rated up to like 12,000 or 15,000 miles according to their website. Mobil 1 is advertised as up to 20,000 or 1 year. Currently I am pushing around 10,000 miles on my Royal Purple and I did not even think of this until now but the filter I have is not rated for that many miles. It's a K&N HP-2011 filter which is only rated for 5,000 miles according to a google search their website did not specify. So hopefully that didn't mess anything up but I have noticed a loss of power recently so that could be part of the issue because that filter needs to be replaced. I'm curious what other car enthusiasts' would recommend and or use. I think I am going to stick with Royal Purple and this time use a Mobile 1 extended performance filter that is rated up to 20,000 miles.

Side note: I am curious if the HPS Royal Purple oil may be a better option compared to the standard Royal Purple I just saw this on their website and didn't realize it was a thing until now. My car is not heavily modified. Basically just have an air raid intake tube and AEM high flow filter with a JLT catch can. That's about it for engine mods.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The oil filter being plugged up will not effect the power the engine makes. What does happen is the filter will start bypassing and the oil is not filtered. This happens at cold startup and possibly at high rpms with high oil pressure. Just because the filter is only rated for 5k miles does not mean its not doing its job just fine, its more of a CYA on the part of the manufacturer.

Royal Purple is generally considered to be no better than the more main stream synthetics but it costs a lot more.

Amsoil is generally considered to be best of the best with Penzoil Ultra Platinum and Mobil 1 Extended Protection right there too.

Personally i purchase what ever synthetic is on sale. Just picked up 3 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for $22 each at Walmart.

Dave

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Amsoil is by far the best and EASY to find.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I will just stick to Valvoline Full Synthetic oil and a Motorcraft, Wix (Napa Gold) or Baldwin filter and my 5000 mile oil change routine. That is the same on my V6 Cyclone and the 6.2 Boss in the F150.

·
Registered
318 Posts
FWIW, the last two Motorcraft oil filters i have purchased leaked at the gasket. In both cases a new filter of a different brand and no more leaking. One was my Mustang the other was my Dodge pickup.

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
At the actual K & N website they they state that their filters will meet or exceed factory specs for oil filters. What change interval does the factory recommend? Also in my experience my oil is very black at a 5,000 mile interval. For me, anything over 10,000 mile oil is overkill. Having said that, I use Mobile1 full synthetic and a K & N HP-2009 oil filter.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
It seems the older I get, the less I care....

I've been using the Walmart "house-brand" oil, and sometimes I'll "splurge" and buy an expensive filter.
I suppose that my attitude would be different if I had an engine that cost more than the vehicle that it was installed in, but for these mass-produced engines that are readily available from a local wrecking yard, I will just make sure that the engine has plenty of oil, change it periodically, and focus my attention on more important things.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
FWIW, the last two Motorcraft oil filters i have purchased leaked at the gasket. In both cases a new filter of a different brand and no more leaking. One was my Mustang the other was my Dodge pickup.

Dave
Not sure what happened with the Mustang, but that Motorcraft filter was obviously trying to get the hell off of that Dodge truck!
:lol:

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
I just put in some Amsoil in my Mach for the first time this past weekend. I've been wanting to try it, but never got around to putting in an order. I've never had a lick of trouble with Royal Purple, which I've used since buying the car in 2012. I tried Mobil One once because my local auto parts store was out of RP 5w30 and I really wanted to get the oil changed at the time. Didn't have a problem with Mobil One either. I typically go ~5k miles or 1 year between changes. If I daily'd the car, I would not have a problem with any of the major oil manufacturers accept Quaker State. That stuff gummed up in my 84 Z28 years ago and have never used it since. I'd pick the one you are happy with paying for and just change it at the regular preferred interval (3k or 5k miles, etc). I check my level about halfway through the mileage interval. Motorcraft oil filters are great, BTW.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure what happened with the Mustang, but that Motorcraft filter was obviously trying to get the hell off of that Dodge truck!

FWIW, i have been using Motorcraft filters on all my vehicles regardless of brand for about 30 years. Good filter at a bargain price, they are made by Purolator. First time i have had an issue with one. Only other filter i have had an issue with is Wix, it leaked at the crimp between the base and can.

Mopar and Ford have been using the same filters since they started putting spin on filters on engines. The filter Ford specifies for my Ecoboost Mustang was first used on Mopar 2.2 engines back in 1982.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Wal Mart Supertech and a Napa Gold filter. Put it away for the winter. You are completely overthinking this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm surprised with your post. I change oil when the use says 10% or less, or every year or every 10.000 miles. always change oil filter too and oil pain bolt. I use 100x100 sintetyc oil, 5w20 whit WSs-m2c945-A/b spec. i don'k konw the reason why you change oil earlier. In my 325xi BMW change oil every 15.6 k miles and it has 200.000 miles

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Amsoil is by far the best and EASY to find.
Easy to find my a** if it was EASY to find it would be sold at my local AutoZone or Walmart or O'Reilley or Napa or advanced Auto parts and it's not. It's also stupid expensive at $13+ a quart on the amsoil website and I need 6 quarts so that's close to $80 or more for an oil change and filter.

I went with mobil 1 full synthetic. Got 6 quarts for just under $50 and I'm still debating on the mobil 1 filter or the royal purple filter. The Royal purple filters down to 25microns and the mobil 1 filters down to 30microns so the Royal purple seems to be better in that aspect but the mobil 1 filter has more pleats in the filter material so it can hold more dirt and impurities.

The reason I went with Mobil 1 oil over RP this time is because I saw online that RP as some sort of gear additive in it that can potentially cause corrosion.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Easy to find my a** if it was EASY to find it would be sold at my local AutoZone or Walmart or O'Reilley or Napa or advanced Auto parts and it's not. It's also stupid expensive at $13+ a quart on the amsoil website and I need 6 quarts so that's close to $80 or more for an oil change and filter.

I went with mobil 1 full synthetic. Got 6 quarts for just under $50 and I'm still debating on the mobil 1 filter or the royal purple filter. The Royal purple filters down to 25microns and the mobil 1 filters down to 30microns so the Royal purple seems to be better in that aspect but the mobil 1 filter has more pleats in the filter material so it can hold more dirt and impurities.

The reason I went with Mobil 1 oil over RP this time is because I saw online that RP as some sort of gear additive in it that can potentially cause corrosion.
Amsoil can be bought cheaper from their website if you sign up an account.

The title of this thread is what is "THE BEST" oil and filter. Not what should I settle for which is what you did. Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and it is no longer a "FULL" synthetic.

You get what you pay for.;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Amsoil can be bought cheaper from their website if you sign up an account.

The title of this thread is what is "THE BEST" oil and filter. Not what should I settle for which is what you did. Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and it is no longer a "FULL" synthetic.

You get what you pay for.;)
Truthfully I would not put Mobil 1 in my lawn mower. My 03 F150 drank it like water and when you talk to Mobil 1 I was doing something wrong IE had the filter leaking, drain plug leaking or some other oil leak or the motor was shot. Went with Valvoline and never used another drop :shrug: :whistling:

·
Registered
70 Posts
lAs straybullitt says, an oil that meets the manufacturer's SAE and API, and changed frequently, is as good or better than buying the most expensive and enduring it for a long time. Many "white" brand oils (I don't know how to translate it, like wallmart oil) are manufactured by the same oil companies that make the premiums ... in europe, bp (british petroleum) castrol (for decades the oil from bmw) and the same oil does it for a supermecador chain called carrefour with the only difference in price, 50% cheaper than the "supermarket"
Any oil filter that suits the car is sufficient

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and it is no longer a "FULL" synthetic.
The battle over what is a FULL synthetic was battled out in court years ago and Group 3 Synthetic is FULL synthetic.

When it comes to Mobil 1 depending on which version you get some are Group 3, some are Group 4 and others are a blend of Group 3 and 4. Mobil 1 Extended Protection is a Group 4 oil just like Amsoil.

When it gets right down to it whether it is conventional oil, Group 3, Group 4 or Group 5 they all start with pumping dead dinosaurs out of the ground.

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
here , the premium oils are, Castrol, Mobil ,shell ,and Liquimoly. Petronas is up position in ranking. The oils about you talk, are rare here (Amsoil, purpel........), and them, the castrol or mobil, for example, are diferent for USA and EUROPE. so, i make me a question, wich is better?
all oils wih sae 5wXX, here, are 100% syntetic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts