Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker on the site for awhile, (picked up my '12 v6 premium in December and I am in love!). I'm going on a trip down in Southern Missouri/Upper Arkansas this weekend and I was wondering what PSI levels you guys generally keep in your tires? I think I've been running around 35, but is there a more ideal number for the mpgs? (I don't mind a stiffer ride, I've got a young back ;) )

Anyways, thanks in advance for your tips!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Most tires are rated at 44 max. So 35-36 is the best for mpg. The less air the more comfort yet you suck more gas. Your got it about right to get around 30-34 at 70mph

·
Registered
333 Posts
The lower the PSI, the more tire is touching the road, which means there's more friction, which means slightly worse MPG. Mythbusters did an experiment on this. You have to fill your tires up almost to the point of bursting, just to get decimal amounts of gas saved. PSI doesn't matter much at all.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The lower the PSI, the more tire is touching the road, which means there's more friction, which means slightly worse MPG. Mythbusters did an experiment on this. You have to fill your tires up almost to the point of bursting, just to get decimal amounts of gas saved. PSI doesn't matter much at all.
Deflate them to 32 and then up to 36. Least in my michelin defenders, that makes a huge difference. I saw that episode too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.