Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Best shift kit/ trans cooler combo?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  01mineralgrey6 
#1 ·
Ok...I am almost at the 30k mile maintanace, where you have to replace the ATF fluid, pvc....etc....anyway, while I am getting the ATF changed I want to put in a shift kit and a trans cooler. I was wondering what the best on the market is for a 2001. Any help is appreciated.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Ill probably go with the FMS cooler....On the steeda site they have a recalibration kit. I assume that it is basically a chip that only changes the way the trans. shifts? I think im going to do the B&M shift kit...They have one listed for a 99 4r70w, it should be the same as a 2001 right?
Thanks again

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I was looking at the valve body kits,I have heard bad things about elc. shift kits, messing up the computer.I think its mostly to a bad installation.But i want a valve body kit. now im just trying to decide on superior or b&m.thanks again

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I just ordered the B&M shift kit(valvebody) It has a RV/Heavy Duty kit, and a Street/Strip kit....I have heard that the street/strip kit, is extremely harsh on shifting, and puts a strain on the u-joints, and rearend.anyone know if its true? I don't want to snap my head back under normal driving conditions. I think I will install the RV/HD kit. Also what would you guys say the difficulty of installing the shift kits are. Should i take it somewhere and have it done? Or do it myself? I have also heard that some kits(or all) you have to drill bigger holes in the valve body.Thank you

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Well it turns out that there is a slight difference in the 99 and the 00/01 transmissions, the 99 has a capacity modulator spring, and mine just has an open hole.....so the B&M kit won't work. I did a little research and got a Trans-go kit, I absolutely love it. With the traction control off it will break the tires loose shifting into 2nd :D , it was raining today and i jumped on it a little with the tration control off and when it hit second the car kicked sideways :headbang: Its like a whole new pony ride :D .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.