Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Best shift kit/ trans cooler combo?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  01mineralgrey6 
#1 ·
Ok...I am almost at the 30k mile maintanace, where you have to replace the ATF fluid, pvc....etc....anyway, while I am getting the ATF changed I want to put in a shift kit and a trans cooler. I was wondering what the best on the market is for a 2001. Any help is appreciated.

#6 ·
Ill probably go with the FMS cooler....On the steeda site they have a recalibration kit. I assume that it is basically a chip that only changes the way the trans. shifts? I think im going to do the B&M shift kit...They have one listed for a 99 4r70w, it should be the same as a 2001 right?
Thanks again

#7 ·
The B&M shift kit should work. Haven't ever heard anything bad about them, either. Recalibrating the chip does basically the same thing that an electronic shift kit does.. Which is crap. All it does is raise the pressure in your transmission and is a lot more dangerous compared to a valve-body kit. About the only -good- thing I can say about electronic kits is that if you hate it, you don't have to buy a new valve-body...

#9 ·
Yeah, I was looking at the valve body kits,I have heard bad things about elc. shift kits, messing up the computer.I think its mostly to a bad installation.But i want a valve body kit. now im just trying to decide on superior or b&m.thanks again

#10 ·
I just ordered the B&M shift kit(valvebody) It has a RV/Heavy Duty kit, and a Street/Strip kit....I have heard that the street/strip kit, is extremely harsh on shifting, and puts a strain on the u-joints, and rearend.anyone know if its true? I don't want to snap my head back under normal driving conditions. I think I will install the RV/HD kit. Also what would you guys say the difficulty of installing the shift kits are. Should i take it somewhere and have it done? Or do it myself? I have also heard that some kits(or all) you have to drill bigger holes in the valve body.Thank you

#11 ·
With my kit (superior) I went full competition (level #1 rv/towing #2 street #3 competiton) and the shifts aren't as harsh as I expected them to be. They're just really quick and firm. The kit would be a messy ***** to install. Unless you don't mind dropping 7-8 quarts of tranny fluid all over your garage, I would take it to someone. And yes, you do need to drill bigger holes and connect passageways in the valvebody. You also need to replace springs and check balls.

#13 ·
Well it turns out that there is a slight difference in the 99 and the 00/01 transmissions, the 99 has a capacity modulator spring, and mine just has an open hole.....so the B&M kit won't work. I did a little research and got a Trans-go kit, I absolutely love it. With the traction control off it will break the tires loose shifting into 2nd :D , it was raining today and i jumped on it a little with the tration control off and when it hit second the car kicked sideways :headbang: Its like a whole new pony ride :D .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.