Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I was recently driving a 4 cyl Altima down back wood roads and the handling was absolutely great. It was amazing taking turns at basically any speed I wanted and the steering was so much harder yet the suspension floated softly over bumps. Left me wishing my car handled like that. Now I realize the Altima is fwd but is there any way to get a mustang to drive like one of these cars. Not sure how many people have actually driven one so don't know if anyone can relate. Btw the car basically had the same tires as my car 215s except they were 16 inch rims and mine are 17 if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
i will trade you an older (they handle the best) 4-cylinder Altima for your junky old gas-guzzling American heap.
deal?
ok, deal.

VRE outbreaks (wash your hands)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yep. Trade in your base model Mustang for an Altima, problem fixed :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've never once heard someone say they wished their mustang handled like an Altima. but x4. buy an Altima.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Just don't try and keep up to my Mustang with your 4 Cylinder Altima in the Mountains around here. Tail of the Dragon and had peaks of 1.19gs to the right and 1.21gs to the left with steady 1.0 g pulls to both sides on STOCK Suspension
BTW Tires, wheels, shocks and struts better sway bars things like that will help your cornering.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well in terms of straight line mustang would destroy it everyday and possibly would win a track race against the 4 cyl but against the 6 with close horsepower i think it would be close. And guys although I'm using an Altima you guys really should get behind the wheel of a new one. Let's not forget that the 2013 and up cars are inspired by the super car series race car Altima. So while it might be funny to compare handling to a foreign (not anymore they are building cars here now) sedan it actually handles extremely well and I think is made to go around a track. Let's not forget Nissan also has the gt-r. If you guys ever get a chance to rent a car or something check it out and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The only difference you're feeling is weight. Assuming base model, the Altima is like 3,100 lbs. That's 400 lbs less than a v6 mustang give or take, so i guess step number 1 is pull 400 lbs out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great point voltwings I confirmed what you said and it does weigh less which would probably equate to less weight shifting around meaning less body roll which I think is what I felt. I felt a lot more confident taking the turns at speed because my car would have had a lot more body roll. Not only that but the Altima is also lower so lowering springs I think may also help. But thanks voltwing now I'm one step closer to knowing how to make the car handle better which was the point of the thread. Also does anybody know if the premium rims are supposed to come from factory with the 215 tires it seems a little small considering that's what the base cars get and I would have assumed the premium rims would have come with something like 235 and not 215 Michelin energy savers.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Hey everyone I was recently driving a 4 cyl Altima down back wood roads and the handling was absolutely great. It was amazing taking turns at basically any speed I wanted and the steering was so much harder yet the suspension floated softly over bumps. Left me wishing my car handled like that. Now I realize the Altima is fwd but is there any way to get a mustang to drive like one of these cars. Not sure how many people have actually driven one so don't know if anyone can relate. Btw the car basically had the same tires as my car 215s except they were 16 inch rims and mine are 17 if that makes a difference.
Ba ha ha

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.

·
Registered
810 Posts
^^ Yeah I know. RubyRed, It doesn't take much to improve the handling on your horse. Just getting rid of those pizza cutter tires will make a huge improvement. A panhard bar, some shocks and struts and you wont believe it's the same car.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Great point voltwings I confirmed what you said and it does weigh less which would probably equate to less weight shifting around meaning less body roll which I think is what I felt. I felt a lot more confident taking the turns at speed because my car would have had a lot more body roll. Not only that but the Altima is also lower so lowering springs I think may also help. But thanks voltwing now I'm one step closer to knowing how to make the car handle better which was the point of the thread. Also does anybody know if the premium rims are supposed to come from factory with the 215 tires it seems a little small considering that's what the base cars get and I would have assumed the premium rims would have come with something like 235 and not 215 Michelin energy savers.

Premiums came with 8 inch wide 18 inch wheels with 235/50-18 tires. If you go through the trouble of buying new wheels, go with 8 1/2 inch wide aftermarket wheels. This is so you can run 255 wide tires. I'm running 255 (255/45-18) tires on my 8 inch wheels and I can feel 'tire roll' when I do hard turns. The tires are a little too wide for a 8 inch wheel, I will be going back the factory 235 tires when the 255's wear out. :(

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Realistically, for handling, a 255 should go on a 9 or 9.5" wheel. You want tread width to equal rim width, or be 1/2" narrower. A 255 is right about 9" wide.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Realistically, for handling, a 255 should go on a 9 or 9.5" wheel. You want tread width to equal rim width, or be 1/2" narrower. A 255 is right about 9" wide.
Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't a 255 fit okay on a 8.5 inch wheel

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
my 2012 perf pack came with 255 on a 8.5. For my two lane blacktop the handling is fine. Note: these are NOT track speeds just hooning speed
Same as my 13, now I have 275/40 19 on a 9 inch wheel. I have also done a steady 1g on a skid pad with the setup I have now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts