Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the biggest bang for buck performance mod? I was thinking of rear gears, but if there's something that makes more of a difference for the money, I'd like to know. The amount of money doesn't really bug me. Just the gain:price ratio.

BTW, didn't know where to put this, so it went here. Move it to where it should be plz.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Brent said:
Gears will bring your car alive

3.73 for manual and 4.10 for 5 speeds.

If you dont got them get them.
Um....If I'm not mistaken, manual and 5 speed are the same thing :oops:
Someone's gonna read this and get really confused...
Just clarify next time :D

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
OK there is a rule of thumb people use

3.73 for manual because they can build HP and drop the clutch

4.10 for auto because we cant build torque or power the same wayso for autos we do it with gears

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
ZimStang said:
nitrous for sure...

nitrous is most horsepower for the dollar, period. you cant beat 100rwhp for $450.

gears are great and always there. i loved mine. But nitrous is, and always will be, the greatest gain for the buck.

but some nice 4.10s and a torque convterter for an auto will do just as much as nitrous and always be there and will pull a lot harder down low.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
no it wont. you just have to be smart about it. if you know what youre doing with nitrous, its perfectly safe

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Gears and T-Loc. No question. 3.73s for manual and 4.10s for automatic.

Just, nitrous might be a little much for some people. Nitrous is kinda like a one night stand. 8)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yeah i know. but im just saying, for $500 you can get 100rwhp. but gears w/ a posi and install and chips (for 99+) that comes out to almost $1000 sometimes. dont get me wrong, my 4.10s were amazing. but my torque converter was even more feeling.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Danger Dude said:
OK there is a rule of thumb people use

3.73 for manual because they can build HP and drop the clutch

4.10 for auto because we cant build torque or power the same wayso for autos we do it with gears
well really 3.73 because with the 5psd first gear and 4.10s, you wouldnt really have a first gear on the street.

And automatic need 4.10s becuase the 1st and 2nd gear ratios suck and 4.10s help make up for that a little.

·
Registered
231 Posts
PuReHeLL said:
Ya but nos will turn your engine to **** before gears do. Especially in a mustang... :no:
Comments like this do no one any good.
We are here to help promote V6 performance, and this does not fit the bill.

A s/c will turn an engine to **** if you add a 15lb pulley to a stock motor, but we all know a s/c is safe.

Nitrous with a safe tune is a great mod.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with brandon about the nitrous as far as actual bang for the buck..If nitrous is the way you wanna go, you really cant beat 100rwhp or whatever shot u want for 450+ bucks. However as mentioned b/f, for an auto, 4.10s and a nice torque converter will WAKE UP your car..especially down low, the difference is phenominal. I know, i have both. :headbang: :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm going for a bigger bang now. GT. By the time I buy it, when the 2005 comes out so prices take a hit, I'm gonna have some spare cash. How do gears apply to a GT? Do they have the same gear ratio as a v6?

·
Registered
567 Posts
stock? yes.

but dont fear the gear on a OHC V8

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OHC? you mean SOHC or DOHC? the GT is single. The mach 1 is dual.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you can put 4.10s in a manual GT. you can put 4.30s in a cobra. thats what he means by "dont fear the gear on a OHC v8" overhead cam stangs can handle a lot of gear

1 - 20 of 38 Posts