Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the blacked out emblems to change out on my 2015. Just wondering of the guys out there who have changed theirs, is there any gotchas or tricks to getting the existing emblems off.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
48 Posts
On other cars I've just used dental floss, windex and micro fiber towel to remove the old glue. Not a bad idea to use some painters tape as a marker for the new ones. I'm not sure if the 5.0 badges are pegged though. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VtecLol, thanks for the help. The new emblems do have pegs so it will be easy to put them back on. I'll try the dental floss. I've also heard of people using fishing line. Thanks again.

·
Registered
441 Posts
fishing line works really good and some sticker remover

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did mine on my 2016. A little heat (hair dryer is fine), strong fishing line and Goo Gone will take any adhesive left off and clean the area at the same time for your new emblems. Not so sure about the dental floss, its just not strong enough.

Also use some thin gloves so the fishing line does not cut into your hands.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

I did mine on my 2016. A little heat (hair dryer is fine), strong fishing line and Goo Gone will take any adhesive left off and clean the area at the same time for your new emblems. Not so sure about the dental floss, its just not strong enough.

Also use some thin gloves so the fishing line does not cut into your hands.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used black plastic dip on my badges, mirrors and rear panel... easy. 18 month still good....

If I change my mind I'll peel it off...

·
Registered
774 Posts
heat from a heat gun or hair dryer, with fishing line to cut through the double sided tape and wd40 is great for removing the glue residue

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Job complete! Thanks for all the help. I used fishing line and a hair dryer. Worked awesome. The glue residue was find if a pain but WD-40 worked good. I used 80lb test fishing line the smaller line kept breaking. On to the next upgrade.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone know of a vendor that sells the whole emblem blackout set? Pony, both 5.0, and back GT badge?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know of a vendor that sells the whole emblem blackout set? Pony, both 5.0, and back GT badge?

I got all four badges from CJ pony parts. They have the pkg deal or you can buy them individually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello,

I did mine with plastidip and it looks awesome. the good thing about doing it that way is that you save money, you don't have to remove the emblems and.... if you want to go back to chrome - then you just peel it off - I have a video posted here on how I did the 5.0. it's easy - it looks great, it lasts, its cheap. fast forward to minute 2:03 to see how easy it is:
http://youtu.be/lG8Qd5gTQ7E

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just ordered mine from CJPP. I'm sure someone has a tutorial out there. Can't imagine the level of difficulty is too high. Biggest concern will be getting the good from the stock ones off the car.

2016 Magnetic GT PP
Steeda CAI & Tune
Corsa Sport Cat-Back

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like mentioned above, dental floss or some good fishing line. If you use a hair dryer to heat it up helps a lot.

2015 GT Premium Triple Yellow
Niche Essen Staggered
Paxton Supercharged
Borla ATAk cat back

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is there a "best" product for removing the glue without harming the paint?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use 3m adhesive remover, test someplace hidden first.

2015 GT Premium Triple Yellow
Niche Essen Staggered
Paxton Supercharged
Borla ATAk cat back

1 - 17 of 17 Posts